Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 is a 20.2 megapixel compact camera announced on 6 June 2012. It is part of the Cyber-shot RX line of digital cameras made by Sony. It was named as the "European Advanced Compact Camera for 2012–2013" by the European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) and one of the 'Best Inventions of 2012' by TIME. Since then, Sony has introduced new RX100 models almost one per year (see Sony RX100 series).
|Lens||Non-interchangeable Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens|
|F-numbers||Focal Length (35 mm equivalent): Still 16:9 29-105mm / Still 4:3 30-108 mm / Still 3:2 28-100 mm / Still 1:1 36-127 mm / Movie 16:9 29-105 mm (Std), 33-120 mm (Active) / Movie 4:3 36–128 mm (Std), 41-146 mm (Active)|
|Sensor type||Exmor CMOS sensor (20.2 MP effective)|
|Sensor size||1in. type (13.2 × 8.8 mm) Exmor CMOS sensor (aspect ratio 3:2)|
|Maximum resolution||20.2 MP|
|Recording medium||Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO Duo (High Speed), Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card, SDXC Memory Card|
|Focus||Single-shot AF (AF-S) / Continuous AF (AF-C) / Direct Manual Focus (DMF) / Manual Focus AF Modes: Multi point AF (25 points) / Center weighted AF / Flexible spot / Flexible spot (tracking focus) / Flexible sport (face tracking)|
|Frame rate||US: 60p, UK: 50p|
|Shutter||iAuto (4-1/2000) / Program Auto (1-1/2000) / Manual (Bulb, 30-1/2000) / Aperture Priority (8-1/2000) / Shutter Priority (30-1/2000)|
|Shutter speed range||1/2000-30" and BULB Mode|
|Shutter speeds||10 fps at 20.2 MP|
|Viewfinder||Electronic Pop Up Viewfinder|
|Video recording||US: AVCHD 2.0, MP4, Video Mode: AVCHD: 28M PS (1920×1080, 60p) / 24M FX (1920×1080, 60i ) / 17M FH (1920×1080, 60i) MP4: 12M (1440×1080, 30 fps) / 3M VGA (640×480 30 fps)|
UK: 1920×1080 50p Approx. 28 Mbps) (AVCHD), (1920×1080 50i Approx. 24 Mbps) (AVCHD), 1920×1080 50i Approx. 17 Mbps) (AVCHD), 1440×1080 30 fps Fine Approx. 12 Mbps) (MP4), 640×480 30 fps Approx. 3 Mbps) (VGA)
|LCD screen||3in. (7.5 cm) / 1,229k dots TFT (3:2)|
|Dimensions||4 × 2 3/8 × 1 7/16 in. (101.6 × 58.1 × 35.9 mm)|
|Weight||8.5 oz (240 g) with battery|
|Made in||Japan or China|
- 1in. type (13.2 × 8.8 mm) CMOS Exmor sensor (2.7x crop factor). This uses the "Column-Parallel A/D Conversion Technique" to create more detailed images in low light conditions than smaller-sensor cameras.
- 10fps shooting capability at 20.2MP resolution.
- M, A, S, P modes available
- Tiltable pop-up flash, allowing bounce flash.
- Large maximum aperture, F1.8-F4.9 Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens.
- Focus peaking display available.
- 3.6× optical zoom, Carl Zeiss T* Vario Sonnar lens (28–100 mm 35mm equivalent focal length range [10.4–37.1 mm actual focal length])
- 3in. TFT LCD (fixed) with 1.29 million dots, using RGBW configuration
- RAW shooting possible (giving enhanced post-capture image editing options)
- FULL HD video shooting (AVCHD, 50fps)
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IIEdit
In June 2013, Sony unveiled a new version of the camera, called DSC-RX100 II (model number DSC-RX100M2). New features included:
- 20.2-megapixel 1in. type Exmor R CMOS sensor, notable for being a back-illuminated sensor
- Maximum native ISO mode expanded to 12800 (approx. 40% more light sensitivity)
- Tiltable LCD (+84°/-45°)
- Multi Interface Shoe
- Wi-Fi connectivity
- NFC connectivity
- Full HD video shooting mode (1080/24p)
Hasselblad Stellar and Stellar IIEdit
On 23 July 2013, Swedish luxury camera manufacturer Hasselblad announced the 'Stellar', a compact camera based on the DSC-RX100, incorporating a wooden or carbon grip. On 1 November 2013, Hasselblad announced another three cosmetic variants of the camera, named the Stellar Special Edition. On 26 November 2014, Hasselblad announced the Stellar II based on the DSC-RX100M2.
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IIIEdit
The mark-III version of the RX100, the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III (model number DSC-RX100M3), was released in June 2014. The camera had a new Bionz X processor, as used in the Sony Alpha 77 II, and a new Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* lens (24-70mm (35mm equivalent), f1.8-2.8) giving a wider angle of view (while curtailing the maximum equivalent focal length from 100mm to 70mm). Unlike its predecessor, the RX100 II, it does not have Sony's multi-interface hotshoe (limiting flash photography to the small built-in unit), but includes a pop-up OLED electronic viewfinder (EVF). The DSC-RX100 III has customizable functions. The viewfinder and rear LCD can be set to different displays. The RX100 III can be set manually with shutter speed and aperture fixed, but with Auto ISO (sensitivity) giving the correct metered exposure.
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IVEdit
In June 2015, Sony released the Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV, the mark-IV version of the RX-100. Like its predecessors, it has the same 1-inch 20.2 megapixel CMOS sensor and ISO levels 12800. The RX-100 MARK-IV can now record 4K video in XAVC-S format with frame rates up to 24, 25, and 30 fps. However, due to extreme write speed and processing power, it can only record 5-minute 4K shots to prevent any serious damage to the camera. It also features Slow-mo video recording and can capture up to 960 fps for NTSC mode and 1000 fps for PAL mode.
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VEdit
On October 6, 2016, Sony announced the RX100 V. In this update, Sony improved the performance of the camera claiming the world's fastest auto focus, the world's most auto focus points, and the world's fastest continuous shooting for a compact fixed-lens camera. Sony's claim of fastest auto focusing speed is that the camera can lock in focus in as little as .05 seconds. Sony increased the number of focus points taken per shot to 315, and also improved continuous shooting performance enabling up to 150 continuous shots to be taken at the full 20.1 megapixels at 24 frames per second.
This was updated with improvements such as an increased buffer and processor following the release of RX100 VI 
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VIEdit
On June 5, 2018, Sony announced the RX100 VI. In this iteration, Sony introduced a new ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 24-200mmi F2.8 – F4.5 lens zoom lens. In addition, Sony once again improved the auto focus performance, improving the auto focus speed to .03 seconds. Other performance improvements in continuous shooting and 4K motion video were also made.
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 VIIEdit
On July 25, 2019, Sony announced the RX100 VII. New features include unlimited video duration (previously 30 min) and a 3.5mm TRS stereo mini jack for connecting an external microphone (previously none).
|Model||RX100||RX100 II||RX100 III||RX100 IV||RX100 V||RX100 VI||RX100 VII|
|Sensor||20.1Mpx Exmor CMOS
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|20.1Mpx Exmor R BSI-CMOS
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|20.1Mpx Exmor RS|
13.2mm x 8.8mm
|Lens Focal Length||10.4 – 37.1mm
(Equiv. 28 – 100mm, f/4.8 – 13.2)
|8.8 – 25.7mm
(Equiv. 24 – 70mm, f/4.8 – 7.6)
|9.0 – 72mm|
(Equiv. 24 – 200mm, f/7.6 – 12.2)
|Lens max Aperture||f/1.8 – 4.9||f/1.8 – 2.8||f/2.8 – 4.5|
|Shutter Speed||30 ~ 1/2000 sec||30 ~ 1/32000 sec|
|Max Continuous Shooting||10 frames/s||16 frames/s||24 frames/s||20 frames/s|
|Video record format||MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s)
|MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s),
XAVC S (50 Mbit/s) Full HD
|MPEG-4, AVCHD (28 Mbit/s),|
XAVC S (100 Mbit/s) 4K video
|Video duration limit||30 min (RX 100 IV: 30 min Full HD, 5 min 4k)||781 min|
|Video Sampling||Line skipping||Full-pixel readout|
|Slow Motion Video Record||No||Yes
(240, 480, 960fps)
(250, 500, 1000fps)
|Professional Video edit||No||Picture Profile w/CineGamma,|
|Custom minimum shutter spd.
at Auto ISO
|AF Type||Contrast Detect||Phase Detect|
|Flexible Spot with Lock on AF||No||Yes|
|LCD||3 inch fixed||3 inch tilting (+90/-40 deg.)||3 inch tilting (+180/-45 deg.)||3 inch tilting (+180/-90 deg.)|
|Built-in ND filter||No||3-stops||No|
|WiFi & NFC||No||Yes|
|330 shots||350 shots||320 shots||280 shots||220 shots||240 shots||260 shots|
|Dimension||102 x 58 x 36 mm||102 x 58 x 38 mm||102 x 58 x 41 mm||102 x 58 x 43 mm|
|Announced||Jun 6, 2012||Jun 27, 2013||May 28, 2014||Jun 10, 2015||Oct 6, 2016 ||June 5, 2018||Jul 25, 2019|
- "Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100: Digital Photography Review". www.dpreview.com. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- European Advanced Compact Camera 2012–2013 – Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 _ EISA – The European Imaging and Sound Association Archived 18 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "Best Inventions of the Year 2012". TIME. 1 November 2012. Archived from the original on 24 September 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Sony Global – Technology – CMOS Sensor Exmor Archived 15 August 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Carl Zeiss® Vario-Sonnar T* Lens
- "Sony Adds Two New Premium Compact Cameras to Acclaimed Cyber-shot RX Line". Sony Press Room. 23 July 2013. Archived from the original on 1 September 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- Edgar Alvarez (16 May 2014). "Meet Sony's RX100 III, a refined edition of its excellent point-and-shoot".
- Zach Honig. "Sony RX100 III review: a fantastic point-and-shoot, but it'll cost you". Retrieved 14 July 2014.
- "Sony DSC-RX100 III First Impression Review". Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Sony's Press Release text for the unveiling of RX100 mark IV and RX10 mark II". Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Digital Photography Review. "Re: RX100 Overheating During Video". Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Lori Grunin. "Sony RX100 IV: Small camera, big video". Retrieved 23 August 2015.
- Ferreira, Louis (6 October 2016). "Sony RX100 V Press Release". Sony Addict.
- "Sony Announces New Addition to Acclaimed Line of Cyber-shot® RX Cameras". Sony European Press Centre. 6 October 2016.
- "Sony RX100 VI 20MP compact camera with 24-200mm zoom announced, priced at $1,200". Photo Rumors. 5 June 2018.
- Ferreira, Louis (5 June 2018). "Sony RX100VI Press Release". Sony Addict.
- "Sony's New RX100 VI Combines Versatile 24-200mm Large Aperture, High Magnification Zoom Lens with World's Fastest AF Speed". Sony.com Press Release. 5 June 2018.
- "Sony RX100 VII camera officially announced with a9 level speed performance (there is no new RX100 V model)". Photo Rumors. 25 July 2019.
- Ferreira, Louis (25 July 2019). "Sony RX100VII Announced". Sony Addict.
- "Sony Brings New Level of Power to Premium Compact Camera Line-up with Introduction of the RX100 VII". Sony.com Press Release. 25 July 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 October 2016. Retrieved 25 January 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Media related to Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 at Wikimedia Commons
- Media related to Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 Mark II at Wikimedia Commons
- Sony Singapore – Cyber-shot™ DSC-RX100 – Power in your pocket (microsite – Product developers interview)
- Cyber-shot Digital Camera DSC-RX100 – Sony US
- DSC-RX100 – Sony UK
Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II:
- Cyber-shot Digital Camera RX100 II - Sony US