Colloquy is an open-source IRC, SILC, ICB and XMPP client for Mac OS X. Colloquy uses its own core, known as Chat Core, although in the past it used Irssi as its IRC protocol engine. One of the primary goals behind Colloquy was to create an IRC, SILC and ICB client with Mac OS X visuals. Colloquy contains a user interface that follows Apple's Human interface guidelines in addition to containing support for traditional IRC command-line controls such as /nick and /join.
Colloquy 2.1 under Mac OS X 10.5.1, Mobile Colloquy 1.0.1 under iOS
|Stable release||2.4.3 (6011) (March 22, 2014)|
|Operating system||macOS, iOS|
Mobile: BSD license
An official app for the iOS was released and features support for all IRC commands, a built-in browser, Push notifications and other features.
Colloquy supports a variety of different text modifications. One text manipulation supported by Colloquy is the use of colors as used by mIRC; with the primary colors being: White, Black, Navy, Forest, Red, Maroon, Purple, Orange, Yellow, Green, Teal, Cyan, Blue, Magenta, Grey, and Ash. Additionally, Colloquy supports formatting text with underlining, italics, bold, and outline.
Plugins and customizabilityEdit
The Colloquy Web Interface plugin allows monitoring of the Colloguy desktop IRC connection from an iPhone's Safari browser, or any web browser.
Both the desktop client and the mobile (iPhone) client have received positive reviews. The desktop client was selected as a Pick of the Week on MacOSXHints.com.
- Timothy Hatcher Archived 2010-09-19 at the Wayback Machine. Colloquy Trac wiki.
- timothy. Ticket #454 Archived 2011-05-12 at the Wayback Machine. colloquy.info.
- Piccard, Paul L.; Sachs, Marcus H. (2006). Securing IM and P2P applications for the enterprise. Syngress. p. 430. ISBN 1-59749-017-2.
- Stolarz, Damien; Jurick, David; Stolarz, Adam (2009). IPhone Hacks: Pushing the IPhone and IPod Touch Beyond Their Limits. O'Reilly Media, Inc. p. 84. ISBN 978-0-596-51664-2.
- Griffiths, Rob (March 23, 2004). "Colloquy - A polished, easy-to-use IRC client". Pick of the week. macosxhints.com.
- Smykil, Jeff (January 20, 2009). "Review: Mobile Colloquy for iPhone does IRC right". Ars Technica
- Lavey, Megan (January 22nd 2009). "First Look: Mobile Colloquy", The Unofficial Apple Weblog
- Hoover, Lisa (October 1, 2009). Colloquy Brings IRC to the iPhone, theAppleBlog
- Gwilym, Sam (January 26, 2009) "Colloquy IRC client now available for iPhone". AppleInsider.