Chi-hwa-seon or Chwi-hwa-seon, (also known as Painted Fire, Strokes of Fire or Drunk on Women and Poetry), is a 2002 South Korean drama film directed by Im Kwon-taek about Jang Seung-eop (commonly known by his pen name, Owon), a nineteenth-century Korean painter who changed the direction of Korean art.
|Directed by||Im Kwon-taek|
|Produced by||Lee Tae-won|
|Written by||Kwon-taek Im|
|Music by||Kim Young-dong|
|Edited by||Park Sun-deok|
|Distributed by||Cinema Service|
|Box office||$6.9 million|
It begins with the Korean artist being suspicious of a Japanese art-lover who values his work. The story then goes back to his man's early years. Beginning as a vagabond with a talent for drawing, he has a talent for imitating other people's art, but is urged to go on and develop a style of his own. This process is painful and he often behaves very badly, getting drunk and being hostile to those who care about him and try to help him.
- Best Film; Blue Dragon Film Awards
- Best Director; 2002 Cannes Film Festival
- Grand Prix; Belgian Syndicate of Cinema Critics
- Awards based on "Awards for Chihwaseon (2002)". Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 2007-11-01.
- "Festival de Cannes: Chi-hwa-seon". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-24.
- "Kim Ki-duk, Grand Prix de l'UCC". La Libre Belgique (in French). January 9, 2006. Retrieved October 21, 2012.
- Distributor's page
- "Im Kwon-taek's Retrospective". Koreafilmfes. 2007. Retrieved 2007-10-31.
- James, David (March 2003). "Chihwaseon: Review". Film Comment. 39 (2). pp. 75–76.
- Johnston, Sheila (2002-06-14). "Master's art of observation". Screen International (1359). p. 24.
- Kim, So-young. "Korean Film History and 'Chihwaseon'" (PDF). Korean Film Council. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-10-02. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- LeMarie, Yannick; Michel Ciment; Hubert Niogret (December 2002). "Im Kwon-taek (Review of Chihwaseon and Interview)". Positif (in French) (502). pp. 4–5, 9–14.
- MacNab, Geoffrey (June 2003). "Chihwaseon Drunk on Women and Poetry". Sight & Sound. 13 (6): 40–41. Retrieved 2007-12-04.
- Morrison, Alan (July 2003). "The reviews". Empire. p. 52.
- Ralske, Josh. "Chihwaseon". Allmovie. Retrieved 2007-11-01.[permanent dead link]
- "Rushes: the bigger picture: portrait of the artist". Sight and Sound. 13 (6). June 2003. pp. 4–5.
- Stratton, David (2002-06-03). "Film Reviews". Variety. p. 22.