Christy Smith (politician)
Christy Smith is an American politician who serves in the California State Assembly. A Democrat, she represents the 38th Assembly District, which encompasses Simi Valley, far northern San Fernando Valley, and most of the Santa Clarita Valley. Prior to her service in the State Assembly, she was a policy analyst with the U.S. Department of Education.
|Member of the California State Assembly|
from the 38th district
|Assumed office |
December 3, 2018
|Preceded by||Dante Acosta|
|Born||May 15, 1969|
Würzburg, Würzburg, Lower Franconia, Bavaria, West Germany
|Residence||Santa Clarita, California|
|Alma mater||College of the Canyons, University of California, Los Angeles|
Early life and careerEdit
Smith was born in a U.S. Army hospital in 1969 in Würzburg, Germany; her parents moved back to the United States when she was six months old. Smith was raised in Santa Clarita, California where she attended local schools. She graduated from William S. Hart High School in Santa Clarita. She attended College of the Canyons, and then got her Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science from University of California, Los Angeles. Before entering politics, Smith worked for the U.S. Department of Education as a policy analyst. She has served two terms on the board of the Newhall School District.
In 2016, she ran for the California's 38th State Assembly district with hopes of turning her district from red to blue. Although she led the candidate field in the open primary in June, she eventually lost to incumbent Republican Dante Acosta in the November general election winning 47.13% to Acosta's 52.87%.
2018 California State AssemblyEdit
|Republican||Dante Acosta (incumbent)||49,825||53.6|
|Republican||Dante Acosta (incumbent)||85,417||48.8|
- Bricker, Brianna (December 27, 2018). "Assemblywoman Christy Smith to chair Joint Legislative Committee on Emergency Management". The Santa Clarita Valley Proclaimer. Retrieved January 8, 2019.
- Smith, Christy (September 22, 2017). "Christy Smith: Time to hear what Dreamers have to say". Retrieved November 21, 2018 – via Santa Clarita Valley Signal.
- "Christy Smith for Assembly 2018 - Meet Christy". Christy Smith for Assembly 2018 - Home. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Martinez, Christian (May 28, 2018). "Assembly District 38: Competition high for seat that represents Simi Valley". Ventura County Star. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Holt, Jim (January 3, 2016). "Christy Smith announces run for Assembly seat". Santa Clarita Valley Signal. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Signal staff (May 14, 2016). "38th Assembly District candidate profiles". Santa Clarita Valley Signal. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "California State Assembly District 38". Ballotpedia. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- "2018 California General Election Results – State Assembly District 38 - Districtwide Results". California Secretary of State. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Modesti, Kevin (November 15, 2018). "Election 2018: Republican Dante Acosta concedes; Democrat Christy Smith takes LA-area Assembly seat". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Anderson, Bryan (November 15, 2018). "More pain for GOP + Drowning in debt + Meet The Bee's new political reporter". Sacramento Bee. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- Lunetta, Caleb (September 26, 2018). "2018 Upcoming Santa Clarita Elections: Meet California's 38th Assembly District Candidates". KHTS. Retrieved November 21, 2018.