Christ Church Picture Gallery
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Christ Church Picture Gallery is an art museum at Christ Church, one of the colleges of Oxford University in England. The gallery holds an important collection of about 300 Old Master paintings and nearly 2,000 drawings. It is one of the most important private collections in the United Kingdom. The greater part of the collection was bequeathed by a former member of the college, General John Guise, arriving after his death in 1765. Further gifts and bequests were made by W. T. H. Fox-Strangways, Walter Savage Landor, Sir Richard Nosworthy & C.R. Patterson (Russian Orthodox metal plaques, many enamelled).
The Picture Gallery is especially strong on Italian art from the 14th to 18th centuries. The collection includes paintings by Annibale Carracci (The Butcher's Shop), Duccio, Fra Angelico, Hugo van der Goes, Giovanni di Paolo, Filippino Lippi (The Wounded Centaur), Sano di Pietro, Frans Hals, Salvator Rosa, Tintoretto, Anthony van Dyck and Paolo Veronese, and drawings by Leonardo da Vinci, Raphael, Michelangelo, Albrecht Dürer and Peter Paul Rubens and a great range of other artists, especially Italians.
The drawings collection is shown by a small exhibition, changing roughly every three months, and sometimes showing works not in the permanent collection, especially those by modern artists. The gallery was designed by Hidalgo Moya and Philip Powell, and built in 1968, enabling the collection to be open to the public for the first time. It is located in the Deanery garden.
- 40 Years of Christ Church Picture Gallery. Still one of Oxford's best kept secrets. 2008.
- Christ Church Picture Gallery. Christ Church, Oxford; 22 January 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Christ Church Matters, Issue 35" (PDF). pp. 12–15. Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- "Old Masters in an Oxford museum". Retrieved 25 August 2015.
- Professor Joanna Woodall. Archived 10 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine The Courtauld Institute, 2013. Retrieved 27 April 2013.
- "Van Dyck painting stolen from University of Oxford gallery". BBC News. 15 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Christ Church Picture Gallery.|
|This article related to an art display, art museum or gallery in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|