Cherry is a 2018 debut novel by American author Nico Walker. It concerns an unnamed narrator's time in college, as a soldier during the War in Iraq, and life as a drug addict and bank robber after returning from the war during the midst of the American opioid epidemic. It was published by Alfred A. Knopf on August 14, 2018.
|Publisher||Alfred A. Knopf|
|August 14, 2018|
A young man drops out of college and enlists in the Army. He comes home in a poor state, becomes addicted to opioids, and starts robbing banks.
Walker has been in a federal prison in Ashland, Kentucky, for bank robbery since 2013, and wrote the book on a typewriter over the course of several years. He is scheduled to be released in November 2020.
Janet Hansen, a designer at Alfred Knopf, created the book cover, which features a skull. Walker’s literary agent dismissed an earlier version as it "[looked] like it should be sold in Hot Topic".
The book was published to positive reviews and "near-universal praise" as per the review aggregator website Book Marks and Vulture.com, respectively. Book Marks reported that 54% of critics gave the book a "rave" review, whilst 31% of the critics expressed "positive" impressions, based on a sample of 13 reviews.
Due to Walker’s imprisonment, his consideration of offers to adapt the book into a film took longer than usual when he exhausted his allotted phone time. Days after the book's publication, the rights were acquired for $1 million by Joe and Anthony Russo's studio AGBO, with the brothers planning to direct and produce, and the script to be written by Jessica Goldberg. In March 2019, it was confirmed that Tom Holland will take on the lead role. Filming is scheduled to begin in October 2019. Netflix are in early talks to distribute the film. Ciara Bravo, Bill Skarsgård, Jack Reynor, Jeff Wahlberg, Kyle Harvey, Forrest Goodluck and Michael Gandolfini were added in October.
- Alter, Alexandra (August 10, 2018). "How a Young War Veteran Became a Serial Bank Robber, Then a Novelist". The New York Times. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Kaplan, Ilana (September 5, 2018). "Army Medic, Addict, Bank Robber, Novelist: How Nico Walker Wrote New Book 'Cherry'". Rolling Stone. Retrieved September 7, 2018.
- Charles, Ron (August 17, 2018). "The alternative covers for Nico Walker's hit novel 'Cherry' look nothing like the final version". Washington Post. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Hansen, Janet (August 16, 2018). "THE TROUBLE WITH DESIGNING A BOOK WHEN ITS AUTHOR IS IN JAIL". LitHub. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- "Cherry". Book Marks. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- Rathburn, Daniel (August 22, 2018). "Nico Walker's Cherry Got Near-Universal Praise". Vulture. Retrieved August 23, 2018.
- "First a Decorated War Vet, Then a Bank Robber, Now a Best-Selling Novelist". The New York Times. August 24, 2018. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (August 16, 2018). "Hot 'Cherry' Book Auction Handcuffed Because Imprisoned Author Has Run Short Of Phone Call Minutes". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 5, 2018.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (August 24, 2018). "AGBO Nearing $1M 'Cherry' Book Deal; 'Avengers: Infinity War's Russo Bros Eye Directing". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (August 24, 2018). "Russo Brothers Close Deal to Direct PTSD Drama 'Cherry'". Variety. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (March 11, 2019). "Tom Holland Reteams With Russo Brothers for 'Cherry' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved March 11, 2019.
- Clark, Anne Victoria (July 21, 2019). "Tom Holland to Star in Russo Brothers' Rated-R Film Adaptation of Cherry". Vulture.com. Retrieved September 12, 2019.
- Fisher, Jacob (September 16, 2019). "Netflix In Early Talks For Distribution Rights For Russo Brothers' 'Cherry' (EXCLUSIVE)". Discussing Film. Retrieved September 16, 2019.
- Ciara Bravo Joins Tom Holland in Russo Brothers’ Next Film (EXCLUSIVE)