Charlotte High School (Rochester, New York)
Charlotte High School was a public high school in Rochester, operated by the Rochester City School District. The school is named for Charlotte, formerly an incorporated village in the Town of Greece and now a neighborhood in the city of Rochester. The school closed in June 2016.
|Charlotte High School|
Charlotte High School
4115 Lake Avenue
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||Connecting Youth to Innovative Life Experiences|
|School district||Rochester City School District|
|• Grade 9||213|
|• Grade 10||135|
|• Grade 11||139|
|• Grade 12||116|
|Student to teacher ratio||14:1|
|Website||Charlotte High School|
Charlotte High School's free/reduced lunch rate is 77.9% of the students.
A school was built on the former site of a one-room school house in Charlotte in 1867. In 1907, a high school building was erected and the present Charlotte High School building was built in 1931. In 1988, the Rochester City School District changed Charlotte to a middle school. In 2005, it became a high school once again. The school closed in June 2016.
Charlotte High School is housed in a five-story new art deco style building on Lake Avenue in Rochester, not far from Lake Ontario. The building contains a swimming pool that is open to the public when not used for school activities.
In addition to typical high school courses, Charlotte High School offers some unique opportunities to students.
- Charlotte's Academy of Hospitality & Tourism includes internships and gives students an opportunity to explore and prepare for careers in travel, tourism, and hospitality.
- The school's Academy of Sports Medicine & Management includes internships with local athletic, medical and sports organizations, and helps prepare students for careers in athletic training, physical therapy, sports medicine, and sports management.
- To better serve the needs of the students, the school offers extended-day academic support and a Wellness Center offers counseling, social services, and after-school activities in partnership with community agencies.
- The school library houses a special collection on the Harlem Renaissance.
Clubs and organizationsEdit
The school offers art, music, newspaper, math league and drama club.
The school supports a full sports program.
The Lakesiders basketball team won successive New York State championships in 1983 and 1984. After winning the 2007 Section V Class "BB" title on March 3, 2007, the Charlotte basketball team finished second in the Far West Regional Class "B" final on March 10, 2007. The team repeated as Section V "BB"" champions on March 1, 2008.
The 2009–2010 track team won the Section V Class B championship.
In 2005, the school's attendance rate of 85% and its suspension rate of 33.3% both exceed those for similar schools. The school's standardized test scores for English Language Arts, Mathematics and Social Studies rank below the state average for similar schools.
In 2004, there were reports of violence and other acts at the school that required disciplinary action. Charlotte High School was on the New York State list of dangerous schools in 2006.
- "Charlotte High School | Best High Schools". US News. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- "Charlotte High School to close for good in June", Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, April 22, 2016
- "Charlotte High School". schooldigger.com. Retrieved 26 March 2015.
- Carl W. Peters: American Scene Painter from Rochester to Rockport
- Charlotte alum bask in success of the new generation, Democrat & Chronicle, January 11, 2008
- Rochester Parks and Recreation Archived 2006-10-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Charlotte High School Archived February 10, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Charlotte High plans tourism academy, Democrat & Chronicle, July 29, 2004
- "High School Library". Archived from the original on 2007-08-12. Retrieved 2007-12-25.
- Rochester Urban Youth Film Festival Showcases Young Student Works
- City Basketball - K-12 - 2006/2007 Season - Rochester, New York
- "Moore, Williams help Charlotte repeat in BB". Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- City-Data for Charlotte High School in Rochester NY
- Two Local Schools Including Charlotte High School Deemed Dangerous (RNews Article) Archived September 27, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Threat Leads to Charlotte Lockdown (RNews article)[dead link]
- Student Stabbed at Charlotte HS (RNews article)[dead link]
- New York States 'Persistently Dangerous Schools' List Archived March 10, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "17 New York Schools Labeled 'Persistently Dangerous'". campussafetymagazine.com. Campus Safety. Retrieved 26 March 2015.