Cesar Corrales (born September 26, 1996) is a ballet dancer and actor. He starred as "Young Billy" in the Chicago and Toronto productions of Billy Elliot the Musical and has been a principal dancer with English National Ballet. He is now a first soloist with The Royal Ballet.
Early life and educationEdit
Born in Mexico City, Mexico, and raised in Canada, Corrales received his initial training from his parents, Taina Morales and Jesus Corrales, a former principal with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet and Les Grands Ballets Canadiens. At the age of 4 he appeared in the Royal Winnipeg's production of Madama Butterfly, At age 4 he performed with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet in Madama Butterfly. Soon afterwards he appeared in the Jennifer Lopez movie, Shall We Dance. In 2008 he won first place in Coupe Quebec gymnastics competition. That same year he joined National Ballet of Canada's school and trained there until he was cast in the starring role of the Chicago premiere of Billy Elliot the musical. He performed alongside the Tony-award nominated actress Emily Skinner, who played his dance teacher. After the Chicago production closed at the end of 2010, he starred in the show's 2011 Toronto premiere.After leaving Billy Elliot he returned to training in ballet.
Corrales competed in and won the Prix de Lausanne in 2013 which offered a significant scholarship from the Oak Foundation. Rather than accepting this prize, he followed his mother to Europe and continued training with her while she was guest teaching at the Norwegian Ballet. He joined American Ballet Theatre Studio Company the next year. While dancing with the company he won the Grand Prix Award and Artistry Award at the Youth America Grand Prix. He joined English National Ballet the next year, where he was rapidly promoted to Principal dancer in 2017. During his time at ENB he won the company's Emerging Dancer Award in 2016 and the 2017 National Dance Award for Outstanding Male Performance for his performance in Le Corsaire. The following year he was declared one of Dance Magazine's "25 to Watch" and joined The Royal Ballet as a first soloist.
His repertory with English National Ballet included Ali in Le Corsaire, Drosselymeyer's Nephew in The Nutcracker, Mercutio in Rudolf Nureyev's Romeo and Juliet, Albrecht in Giselle, Franz in Coppélia, and leading roles in Fantastic Beings, Le Jeune homme et la mort and In the middle, somewhat elevated. He also created the role of Hilarion in the premiere of Akram Khan's Giselle. He made his debut as Romeo in Kenneth McaMillan's Romeo and Juliet alongside Francesca Hayward, the company's principal ballerina, in May 2019.
- https://movies.nytimes.com/person/1519380/Cesar-Corrales Cesar Corrales Filmography New York Times
- Desk, BWW News. "Tommy Batchelor, Giuseppe Bausilio and Cesar Corrales will star as 'Billy' in Chicago BILLY ELLIOT". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Walker, Cassie. "Cesar Corrales Nails the Opening Night of 'Billy Elliot the Musical'". Chicago magazine. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Hail Cesar: English National Ballet's Cesar Corrales". Pointe. 2017-10-02. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2011-04-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Introducing Toronto's Billy Elliot
- http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/The-312/April-2010/Chicago-Billy-Elliot-Opening-NIght-Cesar-Corrales/ Cesar Corrales Nails the Opening Night of 'Billy Elliot the Musical'
- "Magical opening night for 'Billy Elliot' in Toronto". CP24. 2011-03-02. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-03-16. Retrieved 2011-04-19.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) Chicago Billy's Announced
- "Cesar Corrales". Prix de Lausanne. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Canadian awarded Prix de Lausanne 2013". The Dance Current. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "2013 Prix de Lausanne Prize Winners - Dance Informa USA". danceinforma.us. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Dance prodigy Cesar Corrales takes big step | Globalnews.ca". globalnews.ca. 2013-07-22. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "YAGP releases 2014 results - Dance Informa USA". danceinforma.us. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Backstage at The Royal Ballet: Hayward and Corrales". Gramilano. 2019-06-14. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Cesar Corrales | Youth America Grand Prix Ballet competition". Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Cesar Corrales Wins the Grand Prix at the Youth America Grand Prix…". NYC Dance Stuff. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "English National Ballet Emerging Dancer Competition 2016". DanceTabs. 2016-05-20. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- Snow, Georgia (2017-02-06). "English National Ballet wins outstanding company at Critics' Circle National Dance Awards". The Stage. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "25 to Watch 2018: Cesar Corrales". Dance Magazine. 2017-12-20. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "ENB Star Cesar Corrales to Join The Royal Ballet". Pointe. 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Cesar Corrales to join The Royal Ballet as a First Soloist". Royal Opera House. 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2019-07-26.
- "Romeo and Juliet — stars at their peak in Kenneth MacMillan's ballet". The Financial Times. Retrieved 2019-07-26.