Celina Jaitly (born 24 November 1981) is an Indian film actress who mainly appears in Bollywood films. A former beauty queen and model, she won the Miss India in 2001 and was the 4th runner-up at Miss Universe 2001. She made her acting debut with the 2003 thriller Janasheen.
Jaitly in 2014
|Alma mater||St. Joseph College|
|Title||Femina Miss India 2001|
Peter Haag (m. 2011)
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Femina Miss India 2001|
Miss Universe 2001
Celina Jaitly was born in Kabul, Afghanistan to a Punjabi Hindu father, Colonel V.K. Jaitly and an Afghan Hindu mother, Meeta, who was a nurse in the Indian Army. Celina has a brother who is also in the Indian Army.
She wanted to grow up and join the army just like her father, either as a pilot or a doctor. Most of her childhood was spent in different locations due to her father being transferred in cities and towns all over India - as a result she ended up studying in over a dozen different schools. While her family was in Lucknow, she attended City Montessori School, Station Road, Lucknow. She also studied in Berhampur, Orissa. She has spent a major portion of her time in Kolkata, West Bengal where father was posted during her college days. The family is now re-settled in Kolkata.. She graduated with a degree in commerce from Indira Gandhi National Open University. After graduation, Celina worked in a cell phone company briefly.
2001–04: Debut and setbackEdit
Jaitly started her career from a marketing job in a mobile phone company in Kolkata before she decided to participate in a local beauty contest. She won the title at Femina Miss India 2001. She also won the Miss Margo Beautiful Skin, Indiatimes Surfer's Choice, and MTV's Most Wanted award. She was subsequently sent to the Miss Universe 2001 contest representing India where she finished 4th runner-up.
In 2003, she made her film debut in Feroz Khan's Janasheen. The movie was a moderate box office success in India. For her second release, she had a starring role opposite Sunny Deol in the romantic action Khel, but the feature was poorly received and earned little at the box office.
In 2004, Jaitly turned down the lead role in Julie. In an interview with Stardust, Jaitly commented: "I turned down Julie because I didn't agree with the reasoning of the protagonist in the story, who resorts to prostitution because her man ditches her. I didn't see why any educated girl would take such a drastic step. I take up roles that I mentally agree with, and this was not such a role". The same years Jaitly appeared in the Telugu language drama Suryam opposite Vishnu Manchu.
2005–08: Professional expansionEdit
By 2005, under the direction of Khalid Mohamed, Jaitly played the role of Preeti, an air hostess, in Silsiilay. The movie was well received by critics. Rediff.com reported that "Celina Jaitly sizzles in the song Belibaas". She next portrayed the character of Sanjana in No Entry, the film was received favourably by critics and became successful at the box office with gross earnings of ₹840.9 million (US$12 million).
The following year, Jaitly co-starred in Deepak Tijori's comedy Tom, Dick, and Harry. The film became successful at the box office with gross earnings of ₹250.7 million (US$3.6 million). She next appeared in Apna Sapna Money Money, directed by Sangeeth. It received mixed reviews, though it became a financial success, with a domestic total of ₹390.4 million (US$5.6 million). In 2006, Celina Jaitly appeared in the music video for the Indian hit song Zara Nazron Se Kehdo performed by Bombay Vikings with Swedish music producers Soundism behind the studio work.
In 2007, Jaitly starred in Red: The Dark Side, directed by Vikram Bhatt, alongside Aftab Shivdasani. Her final release of 2007 was Suneel Darshan's comedy Shakalaka Boom Boom, with Bobby Deol, Upen Patel and Kangana Ranaut. Upon release it did moderately well at the box office but was critically panned.
In 2008, she took a supporting role in Golmaal Returns. It received mixed reviews, though it became a financial success, with a domestic total of ₹660.9 million (US$9.6 million). Jaitly's performance was applauded, with critic Taran Adarsh writing: "Celina stays on your mind even after the show is over".
Recent work (2009–present)Edit
In 2011, Jaitly had two leading roles. Her first was Anees Bazmee's Thank You, a romantic comedy. The film was poorly received by critics but became a commercial success, earning over ₹950.6 million (US$14 million). She next appeared in Shrimathi, a Kannada film directed by Ravi Kumar. It proved a commercial success.
There were reports that Jaitly was slated to play a Persian princess in the film Quest of Scheherezade with actors Sean Connery and Orlando Bloom, and directed by Ken Khan. This has yet to be confirmed.
Jaitly is married to hotelier Peter Haag and they are the parents of twin boys Winston and Viraaj, born in March 2012. Celina is currently based in Singapore and Dubai, and travels for her film and endorsement work in Mumbai.
She gave birth to a second set of twin boys, Arthur & Shamsher on 10 September 2017 in Dubai. Shamsher did not survive due to a heart defect.
Sepang Circuit Malaysia 2002, Ayur (ayurvedic hair shampoos) 2002-2004, Ponds (Dreamflower talc) 2001-2004, Margo (skin soap) 2001-2003, Gitanjali (Diamond jewels) 2003–present, Jashn (Leading Indian apparels) 2006–present, Proactv (International skin solutions) 2008–present, RICHFEEL (trichology clinics) 2012–present, 18 Again (women's intimate care) 2012–present, PETA 2005-till present, United Nations Equality Champions 2013–present.
|Khel – No Ordinary Game||Saanjh Batra|
|No Entry||Sanjana Saxena|
|2006||Jawani Diwani: A Youthful Joyride||Roma Fernandes|
|Tom, Dick, and Harry||Celina|
|Apna Sapna Money Money||Saania|
|2007||Red: The Dark Side||Anahita Saxena|
|Shakalaka Boom Boom||Sheena|
|Heyy Babyy||Special appearance|
|2008||C Kkompany||Item number|
|Money Hai Toh Honey Hai||Shruti|
|Golmaal Returns||Meera mena|
|Accident on Hill Road||Sonam Chopra|
|2010||Hello Darling||Candy Fernandes|
|2012||Will You Marry Me?|
- "Celina Jaitly's WebSite Launch". Mid-day. 18 February 2009.
- Webonautics. "Celina Jaitly (Actress) – Official website – www.celinajaitlyofficial.com". celinajaitlyofficial.com.
- "I am unlucky in love: Celina". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 November 2008. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- Gavin Rasquinha, Reagan (19 November 2006). "On your guard". Times of India. Retrieved 13 May 2009.
- "Miss Universe Pageant Palace - Where the Miss Universe Really Reigns!". missuniversepageantpalace.50megs.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Times of India". Times of India. 8 November 2006. Retrieved 17 February 2010.
- "'Accident...' will show another side of me: Celina". Indian Express. 26 December 2009. Archived from the original on 10 October 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2011.
- "The whole world knows me: Celina Jaitley". Sify.com. Indo-Asian News Service. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "Celina Jaitely: My first love was a closet gay!". In.movies.yahoo.com. Archived from the original on 8 August 2009.
- "India in vogue, Vogue in India". Telegraphindia.com. 9 September 2007. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- Subhash K Jha (10 May 2008). "Actress Celina is shocked over public apathy". IANS. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Vajir Singh and Hiren Kotwani (14 August 2008). "Bollywood beauties chant I-Day mantra". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "Celina Jaitley". The Times of India. 10 December 2002. Retrieved 11 November 2008.
- "Biography". India celebrity.
- "Biography". Filmi beat.
- Bhandari, Geetika Sasan (15 September 2001). "How ice hockey made Jaswinder into Jazzy". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Celina Jaitly". Indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 31 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The game that never began". rediff.com.
- "Celina Jaitly". Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Silsiilay: Women's lib, anyone?". rediff.com.
- "No Entry - Starring Anil Kapoor, Salman Khan, Fardeen Khan, Bipasha Basu, Esha Deol, Lara Dutta, Celina Jaitley. No Entry's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- computermech (26 August 2005). "No Entry (2005)". IMDb.
- "Tom Dick and Harry - Starring Dino Morea, Jimmy Shergill, Anuj Sawhney, Celina Jaitley, Kim Sharma, Avtar Gill, Rakesh Bedi, Shakti Kapoor, Gulshan Grover. Tom Dick and Harry's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Ritesh rescues Apna Sapna Money Money". rediff.com.
- "Apna Sapna Money Money - Starring Jackie Shroff, Sunil Shetty, Ritesh Deshmukh, Riya Sen, Celina Jaitley, Koena Mitra, Chunky Pandey, Rajpal Yadav, Anupam Kher, Shreyas Talpade, Payal Rohatgi, Bobby Darling, Sunil Pal, Avtar Gill, Vrajesh Hirjee, Sanjay Mishra, Vijay Patkar. Apna Sapna Money Money's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Bombay Vikings "Zara Nazron Se Kehdo" is Number 3 on India Chart". soundism.com.
- "Shakalaka Boom Boom - Starring Bobby Deol, Upen Patel, Celina Jaitley, Kangna Ranaut, Asrani, Anupam Kher, Dilip Tahil, Seema Rahmani, Govind Namdeo, Vivek Vaswani, Panchali Gupta, Nikhil Patil. Shakalaka Boom Boom's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- "Golmaal Returns - Starring Ajay Devgan, Arshad Warsi, Kareena Kapoor, Shreyas Talpade, Tusshar Kapoor, Anjana Sukhani, Amrita Arora, Celina Jaitley. Golmaal Returns's box office, news, reviews, video, pictures, and music soundtrack". ibosnetwork.com. Retrieved 1 October 2017.
- Bollywood Hungama (29 October 2008). "Golmaal Returns". bollywoodhungama.com.
- "Box-Office Report: Paying Guests doesn't payback. Hopes shifted to New York". The Times of India.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 4 June 2013. Retrieved 2011-06-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Thank You Movie Review". The Times of India.
- "Review: SRIMATHI - Sandalwood News & Gossips". Bharatstudent.
- "Celina Jaitly and Sean Connery, Will They Team Up". Pamil-visions.net. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Celina to tie the knot in Egypt". Times of India. 9 January 2011. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- "Celina Jaitly welcomes her second set of twins but the announcement is "bittersweet"". 1 October 2017. Retrieved 1 October 2017.