Avignon Cathedral (French: Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms d'Avignon) is a Roman Catholic church located next to the Palais des Papes in Avignon, France. The cathedral is the seat of the Archbishop of Avignon.
|Cathedral of Our Lady of Doms|
Cathédrale Notre-Dame des Doms d'Avignon
|Affiliation||Roman Catholic Church|
|District||Archdiocese of Avignon|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Cathedral|
The cathedral is a Romanesque building, constructed primarily in the second half of the 12th century. The bell tower collapsed in 1405 and was rebuilt in 1425. In 1670–1672 the apse was rebuilt and extended.
The building was abandoned and allowed to deteriorate during the Revolution, but it was reconsecrated in 1822 and restored by the archbishop Célestin Dupont in 1835–1842. The most prominent feature of the cathedral is a gilded statue of the Virgin Mary atop the bell tower which was erected in 1859. The interior contains many works of art. The most famous of these is the mausoleum of Pope John XXII (died 1334), a 14th-century Gothic edifice. It was moved in 1759, damaged during the Revolution, and restored to its original position in 1840. The cathedral was listed as a Monument historique in 1840.
- Labande, L.-H. (1906). "L'église Notre-Dame-des-Doms, Avignon: des origines aux XIIIe siècle". Bulletin archéologique du Comité des travaux historiques et scientifiques (in French). Paris: Imprimerie Nationale. pp. 282–365.
- Labande, L.-H. (1910). "Cathédrale Notre-Dame-des-Doms". Congrès archéologique de France: LXXVIe session tenue à Avignon en 1909 par la Société française pour la conservation des monuments historiques (in French). 1. Paris: A. Picard. pp. 7–17.