This article contains paid contributions.
CarsGuide is an online marketplace and content platform based in Sydney. The company specializes in automotive sales and purchases, as well as car news, advice and reviews.
|Shaun Cornelius (CEO)|
Number of employees
|Parent||eBay Classifieds Group|
The company was founded in 2011 as a News Corp Australia company, and in 2016 merged with the Australian branch of Cox Automotive, which is ultimately owned by Cox Enterprises. In May 2020, eBay Classifieds group acquired Cox Media, the subsidiary of Cox Enterprises that runs CarsGuide.
In November 2011, News Corp Australia and a network of Australian automotive groups set out to build a destination for Australians to buy and sell cars.[failed verification] This gave launch to CarsGuide in late 2011.
In 2016, News Corp Australia sold their 55% share in the company, and the company signed a merger agreement with Dealer Solutions, Manheim and Sell My Car to form Cox Automotive Australia, a branch of the Atlanta-based company of the same name, which was completed in late 2016.
February 2018 saw CEO Lauren Williams leave the company. The vacant position was filled in October by Shaun Cornelius, previously of Deloitte and eBay. The company is now owned by eBay Classifieds group, who bought out Cox Media in 2020 to acquire both CarsGuide and Autotrader.com.
- "Carsguide | News Corp Australia". 2 August 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "News Corp Sells Stake In CarsGuide As Merger Sees It Become Part Of Cox Automotive – B&T". B&T. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "About CarsGuide.com.au". CarsGuide. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Marceux, Pavel. "EBay Classifieds acquires Cox Australia – AIM Group". aimgroup.com/. Retrieved 27 June 2020.
- "CarsGuide preps rebrand, appoints three agencies – AdNews". Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Lim, Jason. "CarsGuide Maps Out Strategy To Overtake CarSales In Australia". Forbes. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Kimmorley, Sarah (1 February 2015). "What CarsGuide has learned being the challenger in the Australian car classifieds industry". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "US AUTO CONGLOMERATE TO TAKE OVER CARSGUIDE". Business News Australia. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "News Corp to exit CarsGuide". Financial Review. 9 August 2016. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Carsguide launches in-house content agency – AdNews". Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- Hawksford, Angela. "CarsGuide CEO Lauren Williams departs – AIM Group". aimgroup.com. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "New CEO for CarsGuide". GoAutoNews Premium. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 3 December 2018.