CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is a comprehensive one-volume reference resource for science research, currently in its 100th edition (ISBN 978-1138367296 with 1532 pages, 1000 black-and-white illustrations, June 7, 2019, Editor-in-Chief John R. Rumble). It is sometimes nicknamed the "Rubber Bible" or the "Rubber Book", as CRC originally stood for "Chemical Rubber Company".
As late as the 1962–1963 edition (3604 pages) the Handbook contained myriad information for every branch of science and engineering. Sections in that edition include: Mathematics, Properties and Physical Constants, Chemical Tables, Properties of Matter, Heat, Hygrometric and Barometric Tables, Sound, Quantities and Units, and Miscellaneous. Earlier editions included sections such as "Antidotes of Poisons", "Rules for Naming Organic Compounds", "Surface Tension of Fused Salts", "Percent Composition of Anti-Freeze Solutions", "Spark-gap Voltages", "Greek Alphabet", "Musical Scales", "Pigments and Dyes", "Comparison of Tons and Pounds", "Twist Drill and Steel Wire Gauges" and "Properties of the Earth's Atmosphere at Elevations up to 160 Kilometers". Later editions focus almost exclusively on chemistry and physics topics and eliminated much of the more "common" information.
Contents by editionEdit
- 22nd Edition – 44th Edition
- Section A: Mathematical Tables
- Section B: Properties and Physical Constants
- Section C: General Chemical Tables/Specific Gravity and Properties of Matter
- Section D: Heat and Hygrometry/Sound/Electricity and Magnetism/Light
- Section E: Quantities and Units/Miscellaneous
- 45th Edition – 70th Edition
- Section A: Mathematical Tables
- Section B: Elements and Inorganic Compounds
- Section C: Organic Compounds
- Section D: General Chemical
- Section E: General Physical Constants
- Section F: Miscellaneous
- 71st Edition – 100th edition
- Section 1: Basic Constants, Units, and Conversion Factors
- Section 2: Symbols, Terminology, and Nomenclature
- Section 3: Physical Constants of Organic Compounds
- Section 4: Properties of the Elements and Inorganic Compounds
- Section 5: Thermochemistry, Electrochemistry, and Kinetics (or Thermo, Electro & Solution Chemistry)
- Section 6: Fluid Properties
- Section 7: Biochemistry
- Section 8: Analytical Chemistry
- Section 9: Molecular Structure and Spectroscopy
- Section 10: Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics
- Section 11: Nuclear and Particle Physics
- Section 12: Properties of Solids
- Section 13: Polymer Properties
- Section 14: Geophysics, Astronomy, and Acoustics
- Section 15: Practical Laboratory Data
- Section 16: Health and Safety Information
- Appendix A: Mathematical Tables
- Appendix B: CAS Registry Numbers and Molecular Formulas of Inorganic Substances (72nd – 75th)
- Appendix B: Sources of Physical and Chemical Data (83rd–)
In addition to an extensive line of engineering handbooks and references and textbooks across virtually all scientific disciplines, CRC is today also known as a leading publisher of books related to forensic sciences, forensic pathology, criminology, and police sciences.
- Broad, William J. (15 June 1979). "Rubber Bible Turns 60". Science. 204 (4398): 1181. doi:10.1126/science.204.4398.1181. ISSN 0036-8075. Archived from the original on 2020-01-21.
- "Handbook of Chemistry and Physics 100th Edition". CRC Press. Archived from the original on 2020-03-24.
- "CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics". libraries.indiana.edu. 2002-01-28. Retrieved 2020-02-25.
- 95th Edition (26 Jun 2014) ISBN 1-4822-0867-9 with 2693 pages, Editor-in-Chief W. M. Haynes.
- PDF copy of the 8th edition, published in 1920
- Handbook of Chemistry and Physics online (subscription required)
- Tables Relocated or Removed from CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 71st through 87th Editions