CN electric multiple unit
The CN electric multiple units were a fleet of electric multiple unit (EMU) railcars built in 1952 by Canadian Car and Foundry (CCF) for the Canadian National Railway for use on the Deux-Montagnes line in Montreal. The cars remained in use until June 6, 1995 when the reconstruction started. The MR-90 entered service late in 1995. Several have been preserved.
|CN electric multiple unit|
CN No. 6731 on the Deux-Montagnes line in 1987
|Manufacturer||Canadian Car and Foundry|
|Operator(s)||Canadian National Railway|
|Car body construction||Steel|
|Electric system(s)||2400 V DC catenary|
|Current collection method||Pantograph|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm) standard gauge|
CCF built six motor cars and twelve trailers. As designed the motor cars seated 88 while the trailers, which included restrooms, seated 84. Vestibules connected the cars. The standard formation consisted of a motor car and two trailers. The interiors were green pastel with maroon upholstery. Exteriors were standard Canadian National: green with orange ends. The doors and pantographs were painted red. The cars used 2400 V DC via overhead collection.
CCF delivered the cars in June and they entered service on September 23, 1952. The cars were originally numbered M-1 through M-6 (motor cars) and T-1 through T-12 (trailers).
- Media related to CN electric multiple unit at Wikimedia Commons