Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Budker Institute of Nuclear Physics (BINP) is one of the major centres of advanced study of nuclear physics in Russia. It is located in the Siberian town Akademgorodok, on Academician Lavrentiev Avenue. The institute was founded by Gersh Itskovich Budker in 1959. Following his death in 1977, the institute was renamed in honour of Academician Budker.
Despite its name, the centre was not involved either with military atomic science or nuclear reactors— instead, its concentration was on high-energy physics (particularly plasma physics) and particle physics. In 1961 the institute began building VEP-1, the first particle accelerator in the Soviet Union which collided two beams of particles, just a few month after the ADA collider became operational at the Frascati National Laboratories in Italy in February 1961. The BINP now employs over 3000 people, and hosts several research groups and facilities.
- VEPP-4 - e+e− collider for the energy range 2Ebeam up to 12 GeV
- VEPP-2000 - e+e− collider for the energy range 2Ebeam=0.4-2.0 GeV
- Electron cooling[permanent dead link] experiments
- Plasma physics experiments
- Siberian Synchrotron Radiation Centre
Directors of the InstituteEdit
- A. N. Skrinsly, "Accelerator field development at Novosibirsk (history, status, prospects)", Particle Accelerator Conference, Proceedings of the 1995.
- V. N. Baier, "Forty years of acting electron-positron colliders", arXiv:hep-ph/0611201 (PDF | PS).
- Carlo Bernardini, "AdA: The First Electron-Positron Collider", PDF)