The Bremerhaven Zoo (officially Zoo am Meer, which is German for Zoo next to the Sea) is located next to the river Weser and exhibits mainly species which live in the water or in northern environments; exceptions are, for instance, chimpanzees and White-headed marmosets.
Bird's eye view of the Zoo (2009)
|Land area||1.2 ha|
|No. of animals||292|
|No. of species||56|
|Memberships||WAZA, EAZA, VDZ, yaqupacha.org, Wild Chimpanzee Foundation (WCF), International Species Information System (ISIS)|
The North Sea flood of 1962 killed a lot of animals in the zoo.
Major renovations took place in 1976 and from 2000 to 2004. The Zoo am Meer was opened on March 27, 2004.
The polar bear Victoria was transported from Tierpark Hagenbeck on January 10, 2008: (video) to Zoo am Meer with the hope that she and Lloyd might breed. She stayed in Bremerhaven until October 24, 2011.
The polar bear Irka came from Canada to Bremerhaven in 1979 when she was probably a year old and she spent her whole life in the zoo. She was suffering from arthritis when she got old, but she was otherwise fit for a long time. She was euthanized on June 4, 2012 after she became disoriented, lost coordination and a blood test suggested changes in her liver. After her death a tumor was found in her liver.
The two baby seals called Luna and Paula were born on 21 and 22 July 2012 by different mothers.
The Zoo am Meer will build a new aquarium in the cellar rooms underneath the compound of the polar bears. The exhibit will have an area of 325 m2 and will cost around 1.5 million euro which will be paid by the European Regional Development Fund. The operational costs is estimated to be around 70 thousand Euro per year.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zoo am Meer.|
Valuable information was also taken from the charts in the zoo, see Official English Website Zoo am Meer
- "Bremerhaven's zoo". German Zoo Data Base. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Gehrke, Jens (5 September 2012). "Eisbär Lloyd lockt die Urlauber". Nordsee Zeitung Bremerhaven. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Maffiotte, Lili (25 October 2011). "Der Liebesurlaub ist vorbei". Nordsee Zeitung Bremerhaven. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Joerres, Ulrike und Gerhard. "Eisbären im Zoo – Polar Bears in Zoos". Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Eine Eisbärin für den Zoo am Meer". Nordsee Zeitung Bremerhaven. Archived from the original on 17 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Seelöwenbabys trauen sich ins Wasser". Nordsee Zeitung Bremerhaven. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- Donsbach, Rainer (27 September 2012). "Zoo bekommt ein Aquarium". Nordsee Zeitung. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.