The Boss DS-1 is a distortion pedal for guitar, manufactured by the Roland Corporation under the brand name Boss since 1978. The first distortion effects unit made by Boss, it has become a classic effect, used by many notable guitar players.
Boss released a successor, the DS-2. The DS-2, "Turbo Distortion" was released in 1987, and is very similar to the DS-1 except that it features a "turbo" setting, which produces a sharper midrange tone. Boss released a black limited edition 40th Anniversary model of the DS-1 in 2017.
- The Boss Book: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Most Popular Compact Effects for Guitar. Hal Leonard. 2002. p. 78. ISBN 978-0-634-04480-9.
- Brewster, David M. (2003). Introduction to guitar tone & effects: an essential manual for getting the best sounds from electric guitars, amplifiers, effect pedals, and digital processors. Hal Leonard. p. 20. ISBN 978-0-634-06046-5.
- The Boss Book: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Most Popular Compact Effects for Guitar. Hal Leonard. 2002. p. 88. ISBN 978-0-634-04480-9.
- Music Trades, Volume 136, Issues 1-6, pages 73 & 91
- Gill, Chris (20 February 2016). "The Definitive Kurt Cobain Gear Guide". Guitar World. Retrieved 20 April 2016.
- Kitts, Jeff; Tolinski, Brad (2002). Guitar World Presents the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time!: From the Pages of Guitar World Magazine. Hal Leonard Corporation. p. 187. ISBN 9780634046193. Retrieved 11 January 2013.
- Gold, Jude (June 2007). "Mike Stern". Guitar Player. pp. 28–30.