Bogen is a town in the district of Straubing-Bogen in Bavaria, Germany. It has a population of 10,105. Bogen is located between the southern slopes of the Bavarian Forest and the River Danube. The town lies at the foot of the Bogenberg, a hill immediately on the Danube. The pilgrimage church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Mariä Himmelfahrt)[2] on the Bogenberg is the destination of one of the oldest pilgrimages for Saint Mary in Bavaria (first mentioned in 1103). This was also the seat of power of the Counts of Bogen, who died out in 1242, before the fief passed over to the Wittelsbachs. Since 1958, the German Army has been based at the Graf-Aswin-Kaserne in Bogen. The barracks are home to army engineers and are used for training medics.

Bogen
Town hall
Town hall
Coat of arms of Bogen
Coat of arms
Location of Bogen within Straubing-Bogen district
Bogen in SR.svg
Bogen is located in Germany
Bogen
Bogen
Bogen is located in Bavaria
Bogen
Bogen
Coordinates: 48°55′N 12°41′E / 48.917°N 12.683°E / 48.917; 12.683Coordinates: 48°55′N 12°41′E / 48.917°N 12.683°E / 48.917; 12.683
CountryGermany
StateBavaria
Admin. regionNiederbayern
DistrictStraubing-Bogen
Government
 • MayorFranz Schedlbauer (CSU)
Area
 • Total49.74 km2 (19.20 sq mi)
Elevation
322 m (1,056 ft)
Population
 (2018-12-31)[1]
 • Total10,263
 • Density210/km2 (530/sq mi)
Time zoneCET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes
94327
Dialling codes09422
Vehicle registrationSR
Websitewww.bogen.de

SportEdit

The town's sport club TSV Bogen, whose football division was formed in 1926, experienced its greatest success in 2013 when it won promotion to the Bayernliga for the first time.

TwinningsEdit

 
The Bogenberg (Bogen Hill)

Sons and daughters of the townEdit

  • Annie Krauss (1884-1943), German resistance fighter and victim of national socialism
  • Max Eberl (born 1973), footballer and football functionary

ReferencesEdit

  1. ^ "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
  2. ^ Church of St. Mary of the Ascension