The church in Bocholtz as seen from the Orsbacherweg
(1 January 2007)
|• Density||705/km2 (1,830/sq mi)|
|Source: CBS, Statline.|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Architecture and buildingsEdit
Castle De BongardEdit
The Castle De Bongard dates from the 16th century. The current building only represents 1/4 of the original building. The rest was destroyed during the invasion by the French during the Napoleonic Wars.
Hoeve Overhuizen is a fortified farm with roots dating back as far as the 13th century.
From 2015 Rabobank moves in after redecorating the interior of the building to make it their regional headquarters.
The James the Greater Church was built between 1869 and 1873 by architect Pierre Cuypers. While expanding the church in 1953, they found the remains of a building from the late medieval period. The patron saint is St. James, son of Zebedee.
Bocholtz is part of the Netherlands and therefore the official language is Dutch. A lot of people also speak Bocholtzer, a regional language that depending of the definition belongs to Ripuarian or Limburgish. It is also referred to as Southeast Limburgish.
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Bocholtz". Map of the former municipality, around 1868.
|This Dutch Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|