Black Dwarf (comics)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Textless variant cover of Infinity #2 (November 2013).
Art by In-Hyuk Lee.
|First appearance||Cameo appearance: New Avengers #8 (September 2013)|
Full appearance: Infinity #1 (October 2013)
|Created by||Jonathan Hickman|
|Full name||Black Dwarf|
|Team affiliations||Black Order|
|Notable aliases||Cull Obsidian|
|Abilities||Super-Strength, unbreakable skin|
Black Dwarf first appeared in a one panel cameo in New Avengers #8 (September 2013) and was created by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opeña. His full appearance, along with a number of the other members of the Black Order, takes place in Infinity #1 (October 2013).
Fictional character biographyEdit
When Thanos targeted Earth as the next planet he would raze during the Infinity, Black Dwarf arrived in Wakanda. To his surprise, Black Dwarf found great resistance in that country and was forced to retreat. For his failure, Thanos expelled Black Dwarf from the Black Order.
Thanos gave Black Dwarf one more chance to prove himself by sending him to protect The Peak and keep it from being reclaimed by the Avengers following their fight against the Builders. During the fight against the Avengers, Black Dwarf was killed by Ronan the Accuser.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
Black Dwarf has super-strength, enhanced density, and his skin is impenetrable.
In other mediaEdit
- Black Dwarf appears in Avengers Assemble, but has no dialogue. He serves the Black Order under Thanos.
- Black Dwarf appears in Guardians of the Galaxy, voiced by Jesse Burch.
- The character, renamed Cull Obsidian, appears in Avengers: Infinity War, voiced and motion-captured by Terry Notary. He is a member of the Children of Thanos. Obsidian assists Ebony Maw in an attempt to take the Time Stone from Doctor Strange, fighting Iron Man and Spider-Man. After being teleported to Antarctica by Wong, Obsidian jumped for the portal but Wong closed it, severing Obsidian's arm in the process. After getting a cybernetic arm, Obsidian appears in the Battle of Wakanda. Obsidian fights Bruce Banner (wearing Iron Man's Hulkbuster armor). He manages to break off Banner's Hulkbuster arm, but Banner attaches the arm repulsor to Obsidian's body, sending him flying toward the Wakandan shield, which leads to his death when the gauntlet overheats and explodes.
- Cull Obsidian appears in Avengers: Endgame, with Notary reprising the role. A 2014 version of the character travels through time with Thanos' forces to take part in the climactic battle on Earth. During the battle, Obsidian is crushed to death by Giant-Man. His corpse is disintegrated (along with the rest of Thanos' forces) when Tony Stark activates the Infinity Stones.
- Black Dwarf appeared as a mini-boss and a boss in Marvel Avengers Alliance.
- Black Dwarf, as Cull Obsidian, appears as a boss and unlockable playable character in Marvel Future Fight.
- Black Dwarf, as Cull Obsidian, appears as an unlockable playable character in Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2. He is available through the DLC "Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War Movie Level Pack".
- Black Dwarf, as Cull Obsidian, appears as a support character in Marvel Puzzle Quest.
- Black Dwarf, as Cull Obsidian, appears as an unlockable playable character in Marvel Contest of Champions. He also was featured as a mini-boss during the story event "Avengers Forever".
- Black Dwarf, as Cull Obsidian, appears as a boss in Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order, voiced again by Jesse Burch.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Introducing The Black Order of "Infinity" Part Two". CBR. May 8, 2013.
- Infinity #1
- New Avengers vol. 3 #8
- New Avengers vol. 3 #10
- Avengers vol. 5 #22
- Avengers vol. 5 #23
- Avengers #681. Marvel Comics.
- "Voice of Black Dwarf". Behind the Voice Actors. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Hall, Jacob (July 15, 2017). "The Minions of Thanos in 'Avengers: Infinity War' Have Been Revealed [D23 Expo 2017]". /Film. Archived from the original on July 16, 2017.
- Shanley, Patrick (March 10, 2017). "'Skull Island': Kong Motion-Capture Actor on Sequel Plans and Seeking Andy Serkis' Blessing". The Hollywood Reporter. Archived from the original on March 10, 2017. Retrieved March 10, 2017.
- Fullerton, Huwav (April 16, 2018). "Fargo's Carrie Coon to play crucial Avengers: Infinity War villain". Radio Times. Archived from the original on April 17, 2018. Retrieved April 16, 2018.
- Hood, Cooper (April 27, 2019). "Every Character In Avengers: Endgame". Screen Rant. Retrieved April 28, 2019.
- Russo, Anthony; Russo, Joe (Directors) (2019). Avengers: Endgame (Motion picture). Marvel Studios.
- Fahey, Mike (August 23, 2013). "Maybe Avengers Alliance Can Make Sense Of Marvel's Infinity Event". Kotaku. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Staff (March 21, 2016). "MARVEL FUTURE FIGHT THANOS' BLACK ORDER TRAILER". Cosmic Book News. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 Gets Infinity War DLC". ComingSoon.net. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "What's New in Marvel Puzzle Quest?". Shacknews.
- "CHAMPION SPOTLIGHT – CULL OBSIDIAN". Marvel Contest of Champions. May 16, 2019. Retrieved June 25, 2019.