Bishopric of Lebus

  (Redirected from Bishop of Lebus)

The Bishopric of Lebus (German: Bistum Lebus; Polish: Diecezja lubuska) was a Roman Catholic diocese of Poland and later an ecclesiastical territory of the Holy Roman Empire. It existed from 1125 until 1598. The diocese encompassed areas on both sides of the Oder River around the town of Lebus/Lubusz later called Lubusz Land.

Prince-Bishopric of Lebus

Fürstbistum Lebus (de)
Diecezja lubuska (pl)
1248–1555
Coat of arms of Lebus, Bishopric
Coat of arms
St. Mary's Cathedral, Fürstenwalde
StatusState of the Holy Roman Empire[1]
CapitalLebus (Lubusz)
Göritz (Górzyca) from 1276
Fürstenwalde from 1373
GovernmentPrince-Bishopric
Historical eraMiddle Ages
• Diocese established
1125
• Purchased from
    Poland
1248
• Secularized
1555
• Incorporated into
    Brandenburg
1598
Preceded by
Succeeded by
Kingdom of Poland (1025–1385)
Margraviate of Brandenburg
Today part of Germany
 Poland

HistoryEdit

The diocese was established about 1125 by the Piast Duke Bolesław III Wrymouth of Poland in the westernmost region of Poland in the lands west of Greater Poland settled by pagan Polabian Slavs, in order to counter the eastward expansion of the Holy Roman Empire expedited by Emperor Henry V and the Archbishopric of Magdeburg. Duke Bolesław prompted the construction of St. Adalbert Cathedral in Lubusz, consecrated to the diocesan patron saint Adalbert of Prague, which was later destroyed.[2]

 
The former cathedral in Göritz/Górzyca in the early 20th century
 
Castle in Beeskow, place of death of the last Catholic bishop in 1555

NotesEdit

  1. ^ Imperial immediacy denied by Brandenburg.
  2. ^ Walter Stephan, "Das Madonnen-Siegel der VIADRINA und des Bischofs Dietrich von Lebus", in: Gabriel (April 2006), Sammlergilde St. Gabriel e. V. (ed.), cf. online extract Archived May 13, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, retrieved on 18 April 2011.