Bevern (German pronunciation: [ˈbeːvɐn]) is a municipality in the District of Holzminden, Lower Saxony, Germany. It is the administrative seat of the Samtgemeinde ("collective municipality") of Bevern.

Bevern
Bevern Castle
Bevern Castle
Coat of arms of Bevern
Coat of arms
Location of Bevern within Holzminden district
Holzminden (district)Lower SaxonyHesseNorth Rhine-WestphaliaHamelin-PyrmontHildesheim (district)Northeim (district)LauenfördeDerentalFürstenbergBoffzenHolzmindenHeinadeHeinsenBevernDeensenWangelnstedtEimenStadtoldendorfLenneArholzenPolleVahlbruchOttensteinBrevördeHehlenNegenbornGolmbachHolenbergHeyenHalleDielmissenBodenwerderPegestorfKirchbrakLüerdissenEschershausenHolzenDeligsenGemeindefreies Gebiet im Landkreis HolzmindenBevern in HOL.svg
About this image
Bevern is located in Germany
Bevern
Bevern
Bevern is located in Lower Saxony
Bevern
Bevern
Coordinates: 51°52′N 9°30′E / 51.867°N 9.500°E / 51.867; 9.500Coordinates: 51°52′N 9°30′E / 51.867°N 9.500°E / 51.867; 9.500
CountryGermany
StateLower Saxony
DistrictHolzminden
Municipal assoc.Bevern
Subdivisions5
Government
 • MayorErnst Warnecke (FDP)
Area
 • Total33.23 km2 (12.83 sq mi)
Elevation
138 m (453 ft)
Population
 (2018-12-31)[1]
 • Total3,879
 • Density120/km2 (300/sq mi)
Time zoneCET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes
37639
Dialling codes05531
Vehicle registrationHOL
Websitewww.bevern.de

Bevern lies on the Weser river near its confluence with the Beverbach tributary, located between the Burgberg, Solling and Vogler hill ranges of the Weser Uplands. The municipal area comprises the villages of Bevern proper, Forst, Dölme, Lobach, Lütgenade, and Reileifzen.

The Saxon settlement of Byueran was first mentioned in a register of Corvey Abbey in 822. The construction of a church was documented in 1501; it was consecrated by the Cologne archbishop Hermann IV of Hesse in 1506. The community is chiefly known for Bevern Castle (Schloss Bevern), a Renaissance palace built as a manor house from 1603 to 1612. Purchased by the Welf dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg during the Thirty Years' War in 1633, the building served as the residence of a cadet line, known as Brunswick-Bevern, from 1667 until the late 18th century.

ReferencesEdit

External linksEdit