Bergkamen city hall
|• Mayor||Roland Schäfer (SPD)|
|• Total||44.8 km2 (17.3 sq mi)|
|Elevation||68 m (223 ft)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||02307, 02389, 02306|
Bergkamen, a fairly new town in the east part of the Ruhr Area and south of the Münsterland, was founded in 1966 by the merging of at first five smaller communities. The town‘s history, however, reaches back to ancient Roman times - this can be experienced by visiting the Bergkamen Municipal Museum, which has a large Roman department, and the nearby archeological site, the “Roemerlager“.
- Westphalian Sports Boat Centre - Marina Ruenthe
- The neighbouring national trust area, “Beversee“, and the wooded hill, “Grosses Holz“, a renaturalized former slag heap, provide an inviting atmosphere for relaxation.
- Harbour Festival ("Hafenfest") in June
- Light Festival ("Lichtermarkt") in October.
Bergkamen is home to theatre performances at the “studio theater bergkamen“ and numerous exhibitions in the town‘s own art gallery “sohle1“ or the “Stadtmuseum“
In February 1946, a coal mine in the city suffered a dust explosion that killed 418 miners. This was the worst mining accident in German history.
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
Sons and daughters of the cityEdit
- Heiko Antoniewicz, (born 1965), German cook
- Carl von Bodelschwingh, (1800-1873), Prussian Finance Minister
- Ernst von Bodelschwingh-Velmede, (1794-1854), Prussian Minister of Interior and Cabinet
- Ernst von Bodelschwingh, (1906-1993), German politician (Member of Bundestag, CDU)
- Eugen Drewermann, (born 1940) theologian, church critic, best-seller author
- Konrad Ott (born 1959), philosopher and ethicist
- Frauke Petry (born 1975), German politician (AfD), lived in Bergkamen and went to school there
- Dietrich Schwanitz (1940-2004), best-selling author, grew up in Rünthe
- Hans F. Sennholz (1922-2007), economist
- Peer Steinbrück (born 1947), German politician (SPD), Member of Landtag, for Bergkamen 2000-2005
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2019" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 17 June 2020.
- Exorcising Hitler; The Occupation and Denazification of Germany, Frederick Taylor, Bloomsbury Press
- "Städtepartnerschaften". bergkamen.de (in German). Bergkamen. Retrieved 2019-11-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bergkamen.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bergkamen.|