Benaadir (Somali: Banaadir, Arabic: بنادر, Italian: Benadir) is an administrative region (gobol) in southeastern Somalia. It covers the same area as the city of Mogadishu, Somalia's capital. Although by far the smallest administrative region in Somalia, it has the largest population, estimated at 1,650,227 (including 369,288 internally displaced persons) in 2014.
Mogadishu street scene
Xamar Cadde iyo Xeebta Liido
Location in Somalia.
|• Governor||Abdirahman Omar Osman - Eng. Yarisow|
|• Total||370 km2 (140 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
low · 1st
"Benaadir" is derived from the Somali banaadir, which means "coast", in reference to the southern Somali coastal cities of Mogadishu, Merka and Barawa. The place name reflects the region's medieval position as a key trade center with Persia, Arabian peninsula and far east.
Its capital is Mogadishu, although the administrative region itself is coextensive with the city. Benaadir is much smaller than the historical region of Benadir, which covers most of the country's central and southern seaboard opposite the Indian Ocean and up to the Juba River, including Mogadishu.
Cabdiraxmaan Cumar Cusmaan (Eng. Yariisow) serves as the current Governor of Benaadir and Mayor of Mogadishu. He was appointed by Somali President Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed to replace taabit cabdi maxamed.
The 1,650,227 residents of Benaadir are 50.7% female and come from 303,021 households. It has the highest percentage of residents who are internally displaced persons among the regions of Somalia, because of its relative safety and availability of resources.
The Benaadir region consists of seventeen districts. Warta Nabada District was previously known as Wardhigley District until it was officially renamed in 2012. Kadha District was formed in 2013 and is still absent from most maps.
- Abdiaziz District
- Bondhere District
- Daynile District
- Dharkenley District
- Hamar-Jajab District
- Hamar-Weyne District
- Hodan District
- Howl-Wadag District
- Huriwa District
- Kaxda District[better source needed]
- Karan District
- Shangani District
- Shibis District
- Waberi District
- Wadajir District
- Warta Nabada District
- Yaqshid District
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- "Population Estimation Survey 2014 for the 18 Pre-War Regions of Somalia" (PDF). United Nations Population Fund. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- Njoku, Raphael Chijioke (2013). The History of Somalia. ABC-CLIO. p. 69. ISBN 0313378576. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- Districts of Somalia
- Somali president renames Mogadishu district to foster peace, SabahiOnline.com, 10 April 2012. Accessed on 23 October 2016.
- See: "Somali Voices" Radio Program Connects Families, Fosters Dialogue on Tough Issues, Internews, 27 February 2014. Accessed on 7 October 2015.