Ben H. Procter
Ben Hamill Procter
|Died||April 17, 2012(aged 85)|
|Alma mater||Austin High School|
Professor at Texas Christian University
|Spouse(s)||Phoebe Carole Procter|
|Children||Ben Rice Procter|
|Parent(s)||Hazel Barnes and Leslie Chambers Procter|
A native of Temple, Texas, Procter moved with his family to Austin, where he graduated from Stephen F. Austin High School. He obtained Bachelor of Arts and master's degrees from the University of Texas at Austin. He then received a second master's degree and his Ph.D. from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He served in the United States Navy during the last months of World War II. From 1979 to 1980, Procter was the president of the Texas State Historical Association. Before he became a history professor, he played football briefly with the Los Angeles Rams until his athletic focus was halted by an injury.
Procter held the Cecil and Ida Green Emeritus chair in the TCU History Department. He received the Summerfield R. Roberts Award for best book contribution to Texas history. He was a Minnie Stevens Piper Foundation fellow, honored for teaching and research. He was a biographer of newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst and U.S. Senator John Henninger Reagan.
Donald R. Walker (1941-2016), professor emeritus of history at Texas Tech University in Lubbock, called Procter "among the most respected and admired members of the history profession in Texas. He will be missed by students, colleagues. and other historians. ... May he rest in peace."
- Procter, Ben H. (2007). William Randolph Hearst: The Later Years, 1911–1951. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-532534-8.
- Procter, Ben H. (1998). William Randolph Hearst: The Early Years, 1863–1910. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-511277-6.
- Jennings, N.A.; Ben H. Procter (1992). The Texas Ranger. St. Louis, MO: Lakeside Press.
- Kinch, Sam; Ben H. Procter (1992). Texas Under a Cloud. Austin, TX: Jenkins Publishing Co.
- Procter, Ben H. (1986). The Battle of the Alamo. Austin, TX: Texas State Historical Association. ISBN 0-87611-081-2.
- Procter, Ben H.; Archie P. McDonald (1980). The Texas Heritage. St. Louis, MO: Forum Press. ISBN 0-88273-001-0.
- Procter, Ben H. (1962). Not Without Honor: The Life of John H. Reagan. Austin: University of Texas Press. ISBN 978-0-292-70099-4.
- "Ben Procter". legacy.com. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Gutierrez, Michael. "Former TCU history professor, NFL player dies | TCU 360 - with news and sports from the TCU Daily Skiff, TCU News Now and Image magazine". TCU 360. Retrieved 2012-04-19.
- "Donald Walker obituary". Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. Retrieved July 22, 2016.
- "Memories and Condolences: Ben Procter". legacy.com. April 29, 2016. Retrieved July 20, 2016.