Moyland Castle in Bedburg-Hau
|• Mayor||Peter Driessen (Ind.)|
|• Total||61.29 km2 (23.66 sq mi)|
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||0 28 21|
One of its main attractions is Moyland Castle (Schloss), which belongs to a very well known family in Germany. The owners do not reside in the castle, and it contains a museum of modern art.
Castle Moyland was first documented in 1307 and in the 1740s King Frederick of Prussia used the castle to meet with a lover of his. In 1766 it came into possession of the von Steengracht family, and it remained in their possession until 1990 when the Stiftung Museum Schloss Moyland foundation was formed to care for it.
Once a medieval moated castle, the Castle was converted to its current appearance in the 19th century by Cologne Cathedral architect Ernst Friedrich Zwirner, who transformed it in the Gothic Revival style. After being heavily damaged in World War II, it was only after the Stiftung Museum Schloss Moyland foundation was established that a comprehensive restoration was initiated, allowing the castle to serve its current purpose.
After years of struggle and hard work the reconstruction of Moyland Schloss was completed and the castle formally reopened on July 17, 2007 withers topping out ceremony when the last piece was carefully placed on the tip of the main tower. People from all over the world were there to admire such an important moment in Moyland's history.
Bedburg-Hau is also home to St. Markus Church, which was built in 1124, and the famous mausoleum, where Prince Moritz von Nassau is buried.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2018" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
|This Kleve district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|