This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2020) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Banijay SAS (formerly Banijay Entertainment and later Banijay Group) is a French multinational production and distribution company based in Paris. The company was founded in January 2008 by Stéphane Courbit, and owns over 120 production companies in 22 countries.
|Banijay Entertainment (2008–2011)|
Banijay Group (2011-2020)
Endemol Shine Group
|Stéphane Courbit (Chairman)|
Marco Bassetti (CEO)
Peter Langenberg (COO)
Marie Schweitzer (EVP Strategy and Business Development)
Sophie Kurinckx (Group CFO)
Nicolas Chazarain (Group Chief Legal Officer)
The company has the rights to several renowned reality television formats and their associated programs, including Big Brother, Deal or No Deal, The Money Drop, Fear Factor, MasterChef, Your Face Sounds Familiar, Survivor, and also produces scripted programming such as Peaky Blinders and Black Mirror. The company has expanded over the years through multiple acquisitions, including its purchases of Zodiak Media in 2016 and Endemol Shine Group in 2020, when it adopted its current name.
In 2009, Banijay acquired 51% of Spanish production company Cuarzo Producciones on 12 January, 50% of German producer Brainpool TV on 2 July and the entire television division of Copenhagen-based film studio Nordisk Film on 12 October. In March 2010, Banijay acquired American production company Bunim/Murray Productions for an undisclosed amount.
In September 2012, Banijay acquired a majority stake in Australian production company Screentime, which included a New Zealand division (Screentime New Zealand) and a 49% stake in Irish producer Shinawil which was sold in 2015. That same year, French celebrity channel Non Stop People and Cyril Hanouna's H2O Productions became new members of the Group, followed in 2013 by Italian producer Ambra Multimedia and Spanish producer, DLO Producciones.
In July 2015, Banijay Group announced that it would merge with Zodiak Media; the merger was completed in February 2016. Since then, Banijay Group continues to grow, both internally and externally.
In October 2018, Banijay entered advanced talks to acquire rival Endemol Shine Group, with a deal approved a year later on 26 October 2019. On 30 June 2020, the European Commission approved Banijay's purchase of Endemol Shine. The purchase was completed on July 3, 2020. More recently, it signed a deal with Ninteen11, a production company.
Banijay has several brands of television programmes and formats aimed at different demographics. Some of its better-known programmes and formats produced by its many subsidiaries (past and present) are:
- All Together Now
- Big Brother
- The Biggest Loser
- Black Mirror
- The Crystal Maze
- Deal or No Deal
- Fear Factor
- Home and Away
- The Island with Bear Grylls
- Keeping Up with the Kardashians
- LEGO Masters
- Location, Location, Location
- Mr. Bean
- Mister Maker
- One Born Every Minute
- Only Connect
- Peaky Blinders
- Ready Steady Cook
- Simon's Cat
- The Voice
- The Wall
- Wife Swap
- Your Face Sounds Familiar
Assets owned by Banijay include:
|Spain and Portugal|
|Australia and New Zealand|
- "Our People - Banijay Group". www.banijay.com. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Banijay adquiere el 51% del accionariado de Cuarzo Producciones".
- Hopewell, John (2 July 2009). "Banijay buys 50% stake in Brainpool".
- "Banijay acquires Nordisk Film's TV arm".
- "Bunim-Murray acquired by France's Banijay".
- "Stéphane Courbit rachète la société de production de Cyril Hanouna et boucle leILE rachat d'Everest Poker".
- Tartaglione, Nancy (29 April 2013). "Marco Bassetti Named CEO Of Banijay; Group Acquires Italy's Ambra Multimedia".
- "Banijay Group Acquires Spanish TV Production Firm DLO".
- Keslassy, Elsa (5 April 2014). "MipTV: Banijay Taps David Goldberg to Launch Banijay Studios North America".
- Steinberg, Brian (8 January 2015). "Banijay Group Buys Controlling Share in Stephen David Entertainment".
- Barraclough, Leo; Keslassy, Elsa (28 July 2015). "Banijay, Zodiak to Merge to Create $1 Billion Production House".
- Tartaglione, Nancy (10 July 2017). "Banijay Raises $416M To Help Finance Acquisition Of 'Survivor's Castaway Prods".
- Knox, David (28 February 2018). "Banijay acquires Wonder production arm". TV Tonight. Retrieved 28 February 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (25 June 2018). "Banijay Studios Italy Bows to Produce Premium Scripted Content".
- Mitchell, Robert (9 April 2018). "Banijay Group Partners With Deepak Dhar to Launch Banijay Asia".
- Tartaglione, Nancy (1 March 2018). "Banijay Productions Germany Launches With Arno Schneppenheim As MD".
- Keslassy, Elsa (October 4, 2018). "Banijay in Advanced Talks to Acquire Endemol Shine".
- Clarke, Stewart; Keslassy, Elsa (October 26, 2019). "Banijay Seals $2.2 Billion Deal for Endemol Shine, Paving Way for Huge New Global Player".
- Kanter, Jake (July 1, 2020). "Banijay Group's $2.2BN Endemol Shine Group Takeover Approved By European Commission".
- "Banijay Closes Endemol Shine Acquisition, Forming Global Production Giant". July 3, 2020.
- "Banijay Rights, Nineteen11 sign first-look deal". Retrieved 2020-08-19.
- "Companies". Banijay Group. Retrieved 24 July 2020.
- "Banijay Group Acquires Digital Company Shauna Events". variety.com.
- "Banijay Group Acquires Terence Films". Banijay website. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- Elsa Keslassy (13 October 2018). "Brainpool's Lucky Pics to Produce Sports Show 'Catch!'; Banijay to Sell Format Rights". variety.com. Retrieved 7 August 2020.
- Richard Middleton (8 November 2019). "Banijay merges Italian prodcos DryMedia and Magnolia into single entity". Television Business International.
- "Banijay Rights Acquires Funwood Media". Banijay website.
- Kanter, Jake (December 11, 2019). "Banijay Acquires Italian & Spanish Drama Producer Funwood Media".
- "Endemol Shine Finland moves into scripted with Dionysos Films alum". TBI Vision. October 4, 2019.
- "About Us - WeiT Media".
- "Dlo/Magnolia - Banijay Group". Banijay website.
- "Neon Ink Productions - Banijay Group". Banijay website.
- "The Natural Studios - Banijay Group". Banijay website.
- "Cave Bear Productions". TBI Vision.
- "Banijay UK Launches New Label Little Wonder". variety.com.
- "LITTLE WONDER - Wonder". Wonder production company website.
- "Banijay's Yellow Bird lands in the United Kingdom". Banijay website.
- "Zeppotron Launches New Production Label Definitely". Endemol Shine UK. Retrieved 10 May 2010.