- Wrong belief
The next thing to understand in this connection is the effect of the action of matter on the soul. We have said that the fusion of spirit and matter results in the bondage of the soul. This is literally true; for the union of substances always tends to limit their natural functions, though new properties and faculties arise in consequence of it. As hydrogen and oxygen, which are gaseous by nature, are robbed of their natural ‘freedom’, i.e., of their gaseous nature, by combining with each other in the form of water, so does the soul become crippled in respect of its natural functions in consequence of its union with matter. This is the bondage, meaning, as it does, the suspension and vitiation of the natural functions and properties of the soul-substance, which are held in check for the time being...
The bondage is of four kinds:
- according to the nature or species of karma
- depending upon the duration of karma
- Fruition of karma, and
- The quantity of space-points of karma
- S.A. Jain 1992, p. 7.
- S. A. Jain 1992, p. 215.
- Jain 2011, p. 113.
- Jain, Vijay K. (2012). Acharya Kundkund's Samayasara. Vikalp Printers. p. 110. ISBN 978-81-903639-3-8.
- Jain, Champat Rai (1975). The Key Of Knowledge (Third ed.). New Delhi: Today and Tomorrow's Printers. p. 622–626.
- Jain 2011, p. 114.