|• Mayor||Martin Röthel (SPD)|
|• Total||159.99 km2 (61.77 sq mi)|
|Elevation||100 m (300 ft)|
|• Density||52/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town was first mentioned in 1206 as Smedeberg. In 1350, it was granted town rights.
- The Evangelical Town Church was consecrated in 1453 as a Gothic hall church.
- Art Nouveau Kurhaus ("spa house") built in 1908.
- Bundesradfahrerdenkmal (Federal Cyclists' Memorial), endowed by the Bund Deutscher Radfahrer (League of German Cyclists), dedicated on 17 June 1923 in honour of fallen and missing club members and sportsmen.
- Schmiedeberger Margarethenfest, honouring Electress Margaret of Austria. In 2006, the festival marked its 575th year, and also the town's 800th anniversary of first documentary mention.
- CDU 6 seats
- FDP 3 seats
- PDS 3 seats
- SPD 1 seat
- Agriculture, environment nature 1 seat
- Pro Bad Schmiedeberg 1 seat
- independent 1 seat
Stefan Dammhayn was elected mayor on 3 April 2005. In April 2016 Martin Röthel (SPD) was elected mayor for seven years.
Sons and daughters of the townEdit
- Johann Nicolaus Anton (1737-1813), Lutheran theologian
- Ernst Theumer (1890-1978), Austrian politician ( SPÖ)
- Heinrich Schütz (1906-1986), concentration camp doctor
- Oskar Benecke (1874-1957 / 60), local historian and chronicler, conservationist and archive keeper,