The historical centre of Bad Langensalza
|• Mayor||Matthias Reinz (Ind.)|
|• Total||129.37 km2 (49.95 sq mi)|
|Elevation||202 m (663 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (350/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town was first mentioned in historical records ca. 932, as a village named "Salzaha". The town's name was changed to Langensalza ca. 1578, and "Bad" ("Spa") added to the name in 1956.
The town was plundered and damaged by fires during the Thirty Years' War (c. 1632). Fires again destroyed large parts of the town in 1711, including complete destruction of the town hall, which was rebuilt between 1742-1752.
War again affected the town during 1756-1763, during the Seven Years' War; it was the scene of a battle in February 1761. In 1815 Langensalza became part of the Prussian Province of Saxony. In 1866 it was again the site of a battle between Prussia and Hanover during the Austro-Prussian War.
American troops occupied the town in 1945.
The elections in May 2014 showed the following results:
|Party / List||Vote share||Seats|
|The Left||20,2 %||5|
|WIR (=We)||15,3 %||4|
Langensalza is something of a tourist spot, with a well-preserved medieval old town, a number of themed public gardens and a thermal spa bath.
Sulphur springs were discovered in 1811 and opened to the public as a curative bath in 1812. A new version of the public sulphur bath was opened in 1928. Salt and mineral water springs were discovered in 1996, which prompted the opening of many new curative facilities. Today a modern thermal bath attracts many visitors.
Bad Langensalza contains a Botanical Garden, along with a Rose Garden, and an Arboretum. It is one of the few European towns with an authentic Japanese Garden. Bad Langensalza is also close to the Hainich National Park, which comprises some of Germany's oldest deciduous forest.
The town is on the German Timber-Frame Road (Fachwerkstraße) and is notable for the number of well-preserved medieval timber-frame (Fachwerk) houses.
Travertine stone has been mined in the town since medieval times, and is still carved there today. It forms the distinctive white stonework of the old town.
- Hermann von Salza (around 1170-1239), 4th Master of the Teutonic Order
- Georg Neumark (1621-1681), composer and poet
- Johann Christian Wiegleb (1732-1800), naturalist and pharmacist
- Christoph Wilhelm Hufeland (1762-1836), physician, founder of macrobiotics
- Hermann Bonitz (1814-1888), scholar and educator
- Ulrich Kleemann (1892-1963), general of tank troops in Second World War
- Rudolf Batz (1903-1961), Sturmbannführer, leader of Einsatzkommando 2, responsible for the mass murder of Jews in the Baltics
- Dieter Fromm (born 1948), middle-distance runner
- Uwe Barth (born 1964), politician (FDP)
- Radost Bokel (born 1975), actress
- Claudia Schramm (born 1975), bobsledder
- Enrico Kühn (born 1977), bobsledder
- Marco Engelhardt (born 1980), football player
- Silvio Heinevetter (born 1984), handball goalkeeper
- Matthias Rahn (born 1990), footballer
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden, erfüllenden Gemeinden und Verwaltungsgemeinschaften nach Geschlecht in Thüringen Gebietsstand: 31.12.2018". Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik (in German). September 2019.
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 16 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 174. .
- Bekanntmachung des Thüringer Landesamt für Statistik, abgerufen am 24. März 2016