Bad Königshofen im Grabfeld is a small spa town in the German state of Bavaria, located in the Rhön-Grabfeld district in northeast Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. According to the Bavarian State Office for Statistics and Data, Bad Königshofen had a population of 5,995 in 2017. The Franconian Saale flows through the town.
|• Mayor||Thomas Helbling (CSU)|
|• Total||69.52 km2 (26.84 sq mi)|
|Elevation||276 m (906 ft)|
|• Density||86/km2 (220/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Vehicle registration||NES, KÖN, MET|
There are 17 town districts:
The city is twinned with Arlington, Texas, USA. Bad Königshofen has a downtown recreational park named "Arlington" in honor of the city of Arlington. In 2006, the City of Arlington opened a water park named "Bad Königshofen Family Aquatic Center" in honor of the city of Bad Königshofen.
First mention of the town was in 741, although it had been settled way before then. Graves marked from as early as the 6th century have been found. There are christian and pagan burials in this Festung Road cemetery. Artifacts found in the graves included a longsword and pottery. An even older cemetery found on Bamberger Road shows evidence of settlement in the 4th century.
During the Middle Ages, the town was ruled by tribal duchies as the Duchy of Franconia. The town was granted a city charter in 1235. Königshofen was owned by the House of Henneberg in 1200. In 1353, the heiress Elisabeth of Henneberg married Eberhard II, Count of Württemberg and he sold the town in 1354 to the bishops of Würzburg. They subsequently expanded the town into a fortress. The House of Henneberg acquired the castle in 1400 and in 1412 they bought the entire town back from the Würzburg monastery. Later, the town became home to a episcopal bailiff. In 1603, there was a Leper colony called the Siechhaus in the town.
The elections in March 2014 showed the following results:
- CSU: 5 seats
- SPD: 2 seats
- Greens: 1 seat
- Block Freier Wähler (Free voters): 2 seats
- List Merkershausen: 2 seats
- Bürgerblock der Stadtteile: 2 seats
- List Eyershausen: 2 seats
- List Althausen: 1 seat
- List Untereßfeld: 1 seat
- Junge Liste (young list): 1 seat
- Aktive Bürger Bad Königshofen (Active citizens Bad Königshofen) 1 seat
- Gaspar Schott (1608-1666), science writer and educator
- Louis Rousseau (1724-1794), German chemist
- Charles Albert (1743-1819), sculptor of the Rococo
- Alois Albert (1880-1939), politician (BVP), member of the Reichstag
- Sieglinde Hofmann (born 1945), former member of the Red Army Faction (RAF)
- Waldemar Heckel (born 1949), leading authority and historian of Alexander the Great
- Asteroid 435950 Bad Königshofen, named after the spa town
- "Tabellenblatt "Daten 2", Statistischer Bericht A1200C 202041 Einwohnerzahlen der Gemeinden, Kreise und Regierungsbezirke". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2020.
- "Bad Königshofen im Grabfield: A selection of statistical data" (PDF). Bavarian State Office for Statistics (in German). Bavaria, Germany: Bavarian State Office for Statistics and Data. March 2019. p. 6. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- "Google Maps Directions to the border of Bavaria and Thuringia". Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- "About The Bad Königshofen Water Park in Arlington TX". city of Arlington. Archived from the original on 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2008-01-10.
- Text and translation of the document of Emperor Ludwig the Pious from 822
- Mainpost: BAD KÖNIGSHOFEN Gräber sind rund 1400 Jahre alt aktualisiert: 4. November 2011
- Die Grafen von Henneberg, S. 106
- "Medieval leprosoria in today's Bavaria". Wayback Machine. City of Münster. Retrieved 8 November 2020.
- Ergebnis Stadtratswahl 2014
- Bad Konigshofen Water Park in Arlington, TX http://www.recmanagement.com/200705aw1i.php
|This Rhön-Grabfeld location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|