Axel Eduard Fischer (born 5 May 1966 in Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg) is a German politician. He is a member of the CDU and has been a member of the German parliament since 1998, representing Karlsruhe-Land since 2002.
|Member of the Bundestag|
|Assumed office |
|Born||5 May 1966|
Karlsruhe, Baden-Württemberg, West Germany
|Alma mater||University of Karlsruhe|
Early life and educationEdit
In parliament, Fischer first served on the Committee on Education, Research and Technology Assessment from 1998 until 2009. Since the 2009 elections, he has been a member of the Budget Committee and the Audit Committee. In this capacity, he serves as rapporteur on the annual budget of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS) and the Federal Employment Agency (BA). He is also a member of the German Parliament's Berlin-Taipei Parliamentary Circle of Friends.
In addition to his committee assignments, Fischer was member of the German delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE) from 2010 until 2018. In 2009 he succeeded Edward O'Hara as chairman of the Committee on Technology and Aerospace. He also served as rapporteur on Armenia from 2011 until 2014 (alongside John Prescott and later Alan Meale) and on Ukraine in 2017. From 2014 until 2018, he was one of the Assembly's vice-presidents.
Following the 2017 German federal election, the CDU/CSU parliamentary group decided against including Fischer in its list of nominees for Germany's new 18 person-strong delegation to PACE; the decision has been linked in media reports to his alleged role in limiting PACE's efforts to hold the Azerbaijan government under Ilham Aliyev accountable for human rights abuses as well as possible corruption.
- European Security and Defense Association (ESDA), Member
- World League for Freedom and Democracy (WLFD), Member
In response to the Greek government-debt crisis, Fischer and Rüdiger Kruse proposed in 2015 that German holidaymakers whose holiday spending helps boost the Greek economy should be reimbursed 500 euros by the German state on their return, on condition that the hotel and restaurants they visited have paid their taxes.
Fischer is married for the second time and has six children.
- Armenian Opposition Upset With PACE Official Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, January 17, 2012.
- Co-rapporteurs make monitoring visit to Armenia Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), press release of June 13, 2014.
- Rapporteur strongly condemns prison sentence for Deputy Chairman of the Crimean Tatar Mejlis Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE), press release of September 28, 2017.
- Sabrina Pabst (April 7, 2014), 'Council of Europe must keep talking to Russia' Deutsche Welle.
- Claudia von Salzen (June 30, 2017), Krach bei Deutschen im Europarat: Rücktritt von Delegationsleiter Axel Fischer gefordert Der Tagesspiegel.
- Christina Neuhaus (October 13, 2017), Das Fähnlein der zwölf Aufrechten Neue Zürcher Zeitung.
- Max Holscher (November 2, 2017), Verbindungen nach Aserbaidschan: Die Baku-Connection der CDU Der Spiegel.
- Hugh Williamson (January 22, 2018), Germany Sends Positive Signal on Defending Rights in Europe Human Rights Watch.
- „Liberal-konservativer Kreis“: Bundestagsabgeordnete bilden neues Forum Deutschlandfunk, January 4, 2020.
- Angelique Chrisafis (June 21, 2015), German tourists in Greece: 'everybody has been so kind – overfriendly, even' The Guardian.
- Diese Unionsabgeordneten stimmten für die Ehe für alle Die Welt, June 30, 2017.