Astronomy & Astrophysics
|Edited by||Thierry Forveille|
|Delayed, 12 months|
|ISO 4||Astron. Astrophys.|
Astronomy & Astrophysics is a peer-reviewed scientific journal covering theoretical, observational, and instrumental astronomy and astrophysics. The journal is published by EDP Sciences every month. Since 2011 the editor-in-chief is Thierry Forveille (Observatoire des Sciences de l'Univers de Grenoble). Previous editors in chief include Jean-Louis Steinberg (1969-1973), Jean Heidmann (1973-1978), James Lequeux (1979-1982 and 1989-1998), Catherine Cesarsky (1983-1985), Françoise Praderie (1986-1988) and Claude Bertout (1999-2011).
Astronomy & Astrophysics was formed in 1969 by the merging of several national journals of individual European countries into one comprehensive publication. These journals, with their ISSN and date of first publication are as follows:
- Annales d'Astrophysique ISSN 0365-0499 (France), established in 1938
- Arkiv för Astronomi ISSN 0004-2048 (Sweden), established in 1948
- Bulletin of the Astronomical Institutes of the Netherlands ISSN 0365-8910 (Netherlands), established in 1921
- Bulletin Astronomique ISSN 0245-9787 (France), established in 1884
- Journal des Observateurs ISSN 0368-3389 (France), established in 1915
- Zeitschrift für Astrophysik ISSN 0372-8331 (Germany), established in 1930
The publishing of Astronomy & Astrophysics was further extended in 1992 by the incorporation of Bulletin of the Astronomical Institutes of Czechoslovakia, established in 1947. Astronomy & Astrophysics initially published articles in either English, French, or German, but articles in French and German were always few. They were eventually discontinued, in part due to difficulties in finding adequately specialized independent referees who were also fluent in those languages.
The original sponsoring countries were the four countries whose journals merged to form Astronomy & Astrophysics (France, Germany, the Netherlands and Sweden), together with Belgium, Denmark, Finland, and Norway. The European Southern Observatory also participated as a "member country". Norway later withdrew, but Austria, Greece, Italy, Spain, and Switzerland all joined. The Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Poland, and Slovakia all joined as new members in the 1990s. In 2001 the words "A European Journal" were removed from the front cover in recognition of the fact that the journal was becoming increasingly global in scope, and in 2002 Argentina was admitted as an "observer". In 2004 the Board of Directors decided that the journal "will henceforth consider applications for sponsoring membership from any country in the world with well-documented active and excellent astronomical research". Argentina became the first non-European country to gain full membership in 2005. Brazil, Chile, and Portugal all gained "observer" status at this time and have since progressed to full membership. Brazil departed in 2016. The current list of member countries is listed here.
The current editors of A&A are:
- Editor in Chief: Thierry Forveille (Observatoire de Grenoble)
- Associate Editor in Chief : Joao Alves (University of Vienna, Austria)
- Managing Editor : David Elbaz (CEA Saclay, France)
- Associate Editors :
- Sergio Campana (Brera Astronomical Observatory, Italy)
- Françoise Combes (Observatoire de Paris, France)
- Zhanwen Han, (Yunnan Astronomical Observatory, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China)
- Rubina Kotak (Tuorla Observatory, Finland)
- Emmanuel Lellouch (Observatoire de Paris, France)
- Dante Miniti (Universidad Andres Bello, Chile)
- David Mouillet (Observatoire de Grenoble, France)
- Benoît Noyelles (Université de Franche-Comté, France)
- Laura Pentericci (Rome Observatory, Italy)
- Maurizio Salaris (Liverpool John Moores University, UK)
- Steven N. Shore (University of Pisa, Italy)
- Mario Tafalla (Spanish National Observatory, Spain)
- Yannis Zouganelis (European Space Agency, Spain)
Abstracting and indexingEdit
- Astrophysics Data System
- Chemical Abstracts Service - CASSI
- Computer & Control Abstracts
- Electrical & Electronics Abstracts
- Physics Abstracts
- Nuclear Science Abstracts
- Science Citation Index
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- Physics Abstracts
- Zentralblatt MATH
All letters to the editor and all articles published in the online sections of the journal are open access upon publication. Articles in the other sections of the journal are made freely available 12 months after publication (delayed open-access model), through the publisher's site and via the Astrophysics Data System. Authors have the option to pay for immediate open access.
- History and purpose of Astronomy & Astrophysics journal. S.R. Pottasch. EDP Sciences. 2012.
- LCCN 74-220573. Library of Congress. 2010.
- History and purpose of A&A journal. S.R. Pottasch. EDP Sciences. 2012.
- List of indexing databases for this journal, and bibliographic information. "Library catalog". National Library of Australia. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- Sandqvist, Aage (October 2004). "Letter from the Board of Directors". Astronomy & Astrophysics. Retrieved 20 March 2018.
- "A&A Board members".
- "Editors of A&A".
- List of Thomson Reuters indexing services that list this journal. "Master Journal List". Thomson Reuters. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- "Abstracting and indexing". EDP Sciences. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- SIMBAD astronomical database. Access date - January 27, 2011
- "Astronomy & Astrophysics - Journal Information". EDP Sciences. Retrieved 2013-04-23.