Arts and Humanities Citation Index
The Arts & Humanities Citation Index (A&HCI), also known as Arts & Humanities Search, is a citation index, with abstracting and indexing for more than 1,700 arts and humanities journals, and coverage of disciplines that includes social and natural science journals. Part of this database is derived from Current Contents records. Furthermore, the print counterpart is Current Contents.
|Producer||Clarivate Analytics (Canada and Hong Kong)|
|Providers||Web of Science, Dialog Bluesheets|
|Disciplines||Arts, Humanities, Language (including Linguistics), Poetry, Music, Classical works, History, Oriental Studies, Philosophy, Archaeology, Architecture, Religion, Television, Theater, and Radio|
|Record depth||Index, abstract, citation indexing, author|
|Format coverage||original research articles, reviews, editorials, chronologies, abstracts, scripts, letters, editorials, meeting abstracts, errata, poems, short stories, plays, music scores, excerpts from books, chronologies, bibliographies and filmographies, book reviews, films, music, and theatrical performances|
|Temporal coverage||1975 to present|
Subjects covered are the Arts, Humanities, Language (including Linguistics), Poetry, Music, Classical works, History, Oriental Studies, Philosophy, Archaeology, Architecture, Religion, Television, Theater, and Radio.
Available citation (source) coverage includes articles, letters, editorials, meeting abstracts, errata, poems, short stories, plays, music scores, excerpts from books, chronologies, bibliographies and filmographies, as well as citations to reviews of books, films, music, and theatrical performances.
This database can be accessed online through Web of Science. It provides access to current and retrospective bibliographic information and cited references. It also covers individually selected, relevant items from approximately 1,200 titles, mostly arts and humanities journals but with an unspecified number of titles from other disciplines.
Scholar Rainer Enrique Hamel has criticized the Arts & Humanities Citation Index for its poor reflection of scientific production in languages other than English. Also while analyzing solely content in Spanish of 2006 Hamel found the absurd situation that in the index there were more Spanish-language publications from authors based in the United States than from any other Spanish-language country.
- Asian Studies
- Cultural studies
- Film, Radio, Television
- History & Philosophy Of Science
- Humanities, Multidisciplinary
- Language & Linguistics
- Literary Reviews
- Literary Theory & Criticism
- Literature, African, Australian, Canadian
- Literature, American
- Literature, British Isles
- Literature, German, Dutch, Scandinavian
- Literature, Romance
- Literature, Slavic
- Medieval & Renaissance Studies
- "Arts & Humanities Search (File 255)". Dialog bluesheets. Archived from the original (Online web page) on 2014-03-27. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- Description of Arts & Humanities Search. "e-Library catalog". Iowa State University. 2008. Archived from the original (Online web page) on 2010-06-09. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- Description of Web of Science coverage. "e-Library catalog". Iowa State University. 2008. Archived from the original (Online web page) on 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- See the page entitled "Tech Specs" "Database description" (Online web page). Thomson Reuters. Retrieved 2011-07-03.
- Hamel, Rainer Enrique (2013). "El campo de las ciencias y la educación superior entre el monopolio del inglés y el plurilingüismo: elementos para una política del lenguaje en América Latina" [The field of science and higher education between the monopoly of English and plurilingualism: elements for a language policy in Latin America]. Trabalhos em Linguística Aplicada (in Spanish). 52 (2). doi:10.1590/S0103-18132013000200008.
- Official website at Clarivate Analytics.
- Search in journal list at Clarivate Analytics (in the left panel check “Arts & Humanities Citation Index (AHCI)” under “Web of Science Coverage”)
- Citation Indexing and Indexes. In ISKO Encyclopedia of Knowledge Organization