Annette Kurschus (born on 14 February 1963 in Rotenburg an der Fulda) is a German Protestant theologian and pastor. Since March 2012 she has been Praeses (or in German Präses) of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia and since November 2015 she has also been Vice-President of the Council of the Evangelical Church in Germany (EKD).
Origin and educationEdit
Annette Kurschus grew up in Obersuhl in Hessen and in Siegen. Her father Georg Kurschus (1930-2017) was a protestant pastor at the Nikolai Church in Siegen. After graduating from high school in Siegen in 1982, she studied medicine for a short time, and since 1983 Protestant theology at the University of Bonn, the University of Marburg, the University of Münster and at the Kirchliche Hochschule Wuppertal. She completed her vicariate in Siegen-Eiserfeld.
Career and positionEdit
After her vicariate Annette Kurschus became parish priest in Siegen-Klafeld in 1993 and in Siegen-Weidenau in 1999. Since 2001 she was also deputy superintendent of the Evangelical Church District of Siegen. From 2005 to 2012 she held the function of Superintendent of the Evangelical Church District of Siegen.
In November 2011 she was elected by the Westphalian regional synod as Praeses of the Evangelical Church of Westphalia (EKvW) and was introduced into the function of the leading clergy on 4 March 2012.
Since November 2015 Annette Kurschus has also been a member of the Council of the Evangelical Church in Germany and deputy chairwoman of the Council, and since 2016 commissioner of the EKD Council for relations with the Polish churches.
Annette Kurschus is co-editor of the evangelical magazine chrismon and the evangelical monthly magazine zeitzeichen. She is chairwoman of the board of the evangelical press association and of the supervisory board of the German Bible Society. Furthermore she is a member of the board of trustees of the Detmold University of Music and since 2020 she is a member of the university council of the University of Münster.
The University of Münster awarded Annette Kurschus an honorary doctorate (Dr. theol. h.c.) on 28 January 2019. She received the award due to her merits concerning the dialogue between religion and society.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Annette Kurschus.|
- Artikel zur Amtseinführung von Kurschus als Superintendentin in der Kirchengemeinde Klafeld, August 2005, called on 5. Februar 2016
- Evangelisch: Annette Kurschus rückt an die Spitze der westfälischen Kirche
- EKD: Annette Kurschus stellvertretende Ratsvorsitzende, ekd.de, News from 11 November 2015.
- Präses Kurschus für zweite Amtszeit gewählt on evangelisch.de.
- EKD: Westfälische Präses Kurschus für zweite Amtszeit wiedergewählt, called on 15 April 2020
- Annette Kurschus, Über uns auf chrismon.de.
- Chrismon: Herausgeber und Redaktion, called on 15 April 2020
- zeitzeichen: Herausgeber, called on 15 April 2020
- Evangelischer Presseverband für Westfalen und Lippe e. V.: Struktur, called on 15 April 2020
- Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft: Präses Kurschus ist neue Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende, die-bibel.de
- Deutsche Bibelgesellschaft: Über uns, called on 15 April 2020
- Hochschule für Musik Detmold: Kuratorium, called on 15 April 2020
- Uni Münster: Hochschulrat, called on 15 April 2020
- Uni Münster: Theologische Ehrendoktorwürde für Präses Annette Kurschus, called on 15. April 2020