Anne Curzan is a professor at the University of Michigan, author of books on language, member of the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel, and co-host of That's What They Say on Michigan Public Radio.
Anne Curzan - Anatol Rodgers Lecture
|Awards||John Dewey Award, Faculty Recognition Award, Henry Russel Award|
|Alma mater||University of Michigan, PhD & MA English Language and Literature; Yale University, BA Linguistics, summa cum laude|
|Main interests||History of English, Language and gender, Corpus linguistics, Historical sociolinguistics, Pedagogy, Lexicography|
|Notable works||Fixing English: Prescriptivism and Language History, How English Works: A Linguistic Introduction|
Curzan earned a BA in linguistics from Yale University (summa cum laude) and an MA and a PhD in English Language and Literature from the University of Michigan. She is the Arthur F. Thurnau Professor of English at the University of Michigan, where she also holds faculty appointments in the Department of Linguistics and the School of Education. She serves as Co-Director of the Joint PhD Program in English and Education, and as the Faculty Athletics Representative for the university.
She has taught more than 15 courses at the University of Michigan and the University of Washington, including History of the English Language, French Influence in the History of English, Language and Gender, and Standard English and the Politics of Language Authority. Her research interests include the history of English, language and gender, corpus linguistics, historical sociolinguistics, pedagogy, and lexicography.
Curzan is a member of the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel and the American Dialect Society, which votes on the Word of the Year. She writes regularly for The Chronicle of Higher Education's language blog, Lingua Franca, and is a co-host of the program That's What they Say on Michigan Radio.
- ISBN 978-0205032280 How English works: A linguistic introduction
- ISBN 978-0472067329 First day to final grade: A graduate student's guide to teaching
- ISBN 978-0521820073 Gender shifts in the history of English
- ISBN 978-1598038934 The secret life of words: English words and their origins
- ISBN 978-1107020757 Fixing English: Prescriptivism and language history
- "Thurnau Professorships". University of Michigan. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Henry Russel Award". University of Michigan. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "Faculty Recognition Awards". University of Michigan. Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "John Dewey Award Recipients". University of Michigan. Archived from the original on 19 February 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2015.