Angus MacDonald (bishop)
|Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh|
|Archdiocese||St. Andrews and Edinburgh|
|Successor||James August Smith|
|Other posts||Bishop of Argyll and the Isles 1878–1892|
|Ordination||7 July 1872 (Priest)|
|Consecration||23 May 1878 (Bishop)|
|Born||18 September 1844|
Borrodale, Isle of Skye, Scotland
|Died||29 April 1900 (aged 55)|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Parents||Angus MacDonald and Mary MacDonald (née Watson)|
|Alma mater||University of London|
Born in Borrodale on the Isle of Skye on 18 September 1844, he was the third son of Angus MacDonald and Mary MacDonald (née Watson). His elder brother was Hugh MacDonald, Bishop of Aberdeen. Angus MacDonald was educated at St Cuthbert's College, Ushaw. Afterwards, he graduated from the University of London with a Bachelor of Arts.
After his ordination to the priesthood on 7 July 1872, he was first stationed at St Patrick's Church, Anderston, Glasgow, then sent to Arisaig, Inverness-shire to help the aged Father William Mackintosh, at whose death he took charge of that parish. There he laboured among the people he had known from childhood, his knowledge of Gaelic enabling him to instruct and help those and there were a great many of them who neither understood nor spoke English.
Just after the Scottish Hierarchy was restored on 15 March 1878, he was appointed the first bishop of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles by the Holy See on 22 March 1878. He was consecrated to the episcopate by Archbishop Charles Petre Eyre of Glasgow on 23 May 1878, with Bishop James Chadwick of Hexham & Newcastle and Bishop John MacDonald of Aberdeen serving as co-consecrators. He took up his residence in Oban. There he devoted himself to forming his new and scattered diocese, all of which he visited in all seasons and in all kinds of weather. He became a familiar sight on the Highland steamboats, often clad in oilskin and sou'wester. He built churches and schools, and, with his priests, worked incessantly for the glory of God and the increase of the religion to which he and his ancestors had always adhered. After 14 years as Bishop of Argyll and the Isles, he was translated to the Metropolitan see of St Andrews and Edinburgh on 15 July 1892. As archbishop, he continued with the same zeal, humility, gentleness, tact, and firm attention to everything in his new duties as he had had under his old charge.
|Catholic Church titles|
|New title|| Bishop of Argyll and the Isles
George John Smith
| Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh
James August Smith