Andrew Fabian(Redirected from Andy Fabian)
Andrew Christopher Fabian OBE FRS (born 20 February 1948) is a British astronomer and astrophysicist. He has been Director of the Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge since 2013. He was a Royal Society Research Professor at the Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge from 1982 to 2013, and Vice-Master of Darwin College, Cambridge from 1997 to 2012. He served as president of the Royal Astronomical Society from May 2008 through to 2010.
Andrew Christopher Fabian
20 February 1948
|Education||Daventry Grammar school|
|Alma mater||King's College London (BSc)|
University College, London (PhD)
Carolin Crawford (m. 1991)
|Institutions||Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge|
University of Cambridge
|Thesis||The small scale isotropy of the cosmic X-ray background (1972)|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter W. Sanford|
|Doctoral students||Carolin Crawford|
Career and researchEdit
Fabian is an emeritus Gresham Professor of Astronomy at Gresham College, a position in which he delivered free public lectures within the City of London between 1982 and 1984. He was also editor-in-chief of the astronomy journal Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. His current areas of research include galaxy clusters, active galactic nuclei, strong gravity, black holes and the X-ray background. He has also worked on X-ray binaries, neutron stars and supernova remnants in the past. Much of his research involves X-ray astronomy and high energy astrophysics. His notable achievements include his involvement in the discovery of broad iron lines emitted from active galactic nuclei, for which he was jointly awarded the Bruno Rossi Prize. He is author of over 1000 refereed articles and head of the X-ray astronomy group at the Institute of Astronomy.
Awards and honoursEdit
- Anon (2017). Fabian, Prof. Andrew Christopher. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U15353. (subscription required)
- Anon (2017). Crawford, Prof. Carolin Susan. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who (online Oxford University Press ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U258623. (subscription required)
- Andrew Fabian at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Crawford, Carolin Susan (1988). The detection of distant cooling flows. jisc.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of Cambridge. OCLC 53538712. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.293490.
- "No. 58014". The London Gazette. 17 June 2006. p. 10.
- RAS press release Archived July 16, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- Fabian, Andrew Christopher. The small-scale isotropy of the cosmic X-ray background. mssl.ucl.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University College London. OCLC 926326493. Copac 18982917.
- List of Astronomy Professors on the Gresham College website
- ADS, last run 16 July 2015
- Institute of Astronomy X-ray Group
- "RAS honours leading astronomers and geophysicists". Royal Astronomical Society. Retrieved 17 February 2012.
- National Academy of Sciences Members and Foreign Associates Elected, News from the National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Sciences, May 3, 2016, retrieved 2016-05-14
- "Past Recipients of the Catherine Wolfe Bruce Gold Medal". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Retrieved 1 September 2016.