Andrei Yuryevich Okounkov (Russian: Андре́й Ю́рьевич Окунько́в, Andrej Okun'kov) (born July 26, 1969) is a Russian mathematician who works on representation theory and its applications to algebraic geometry, mathematical physics, probability theory and special functions. He is currently a professor at Columbia University and the academic supervisor of HSE International Laboratory of Representation Theory and Mathematical Physics. In 2006, he received the Fields Medal "for his contributions to bridging probability, representation theory and algebraic geometry."
Andrei Yuryevich Okounkov
July 26, 1969
|Alma mater||Moscow State University|
|Awards||Fields Medal (2006) |
EMS Prize (2004)
National Research University – Higher School of Economics
University of California, Berkeley
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||Alexandre Kirillov|
Education and careerEdit
He received his doctorate at Moscow State University in 1995 under Alexandre Kirillov and Grigori Olshanski. He has been a professor at Columbia University since 2010. He was previously a professor at Princeton University from 2002 to 2010, an assistant and associate professor at the University of California, Berkeley, and an instructor at the University of Chicago.
He has worked on the representation theory of infinite symmetric groups, the statistics of plane partitions, and the quantum cohomology of the Hilbert scheme of points in the complex plane. Much of his work on Hilbert schemes was joint with Rahul Pandharipande.
In 2006, at the 25th International Congress of Mathematicians in Madrid, Spain, he received the Fields Medal "for his contributions to bridging probability, representation theory and algebraic geometry." In 2016 he became a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- "International Laboratory of Representation Theory and Mathematical Physics". mf.hse.ru.
- "Information about Andrei Okounkov, Fields Medal winner", ICM Press Release
- "G. Olshanski - Grigori Olshanski". www.iitp.ru.
- Newly Elected Members, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, April 2016, retrieved 2016-04-20
- Andrei Okounkov home page at Columbia
- Andrei Okounkov home page at Princeton
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Andrei Okounkov", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
- Andrei Okounkov at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- EMS Prize 2004 citation
- Fields Medal citation
- Andrei Okounkov's articles on the Arxiv
- Daily Princetonian story
- BBC story