Amiram Harten (1946 – 1994) was an American/Israeli applied mathematician. Harten made fundamental contribution to the development of high-resolution schemes for the solution of hyperbolic partial differential equations. Among other contributions, he developed the total variation diminishing scheme, which gives an oscillation free solution for flow with shocks.
|Alma mater||New York University|
|Known for||TVD scheme|
Shock capturing schemes
|Institutions||Tel Aviv University, UCLA|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter Lax|
In 1980s, Harten along with Björn Engquist, Stanley Osher, and Sukumar R. Chakravarthy developed the essentially non-oscillatory (ENO) schemes. The article on ENO, titled, Uniformly High Order Accurate Essentially Non-oscillatory Schemes, III was published in Journal of Computational Physics, in 1987  and is one of the most cited papers in the field of scientific computing. It was republished in 1997 in the same journal. Harten is listed as an ISI highly cited researcher.
- "Amiram Harten - Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 April 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014.
- Harten, Ami (1983), "High resolution schemes for hyperbolic conservation laws", J. Comput. Phys., 49 (2): 357–393, doi:10.1006/jcph.1997.5713
- Harten, Ami; Engquist, Bjorn; Osher, Stanley; Chakravarthy, Sukumar R. (1987), "Uniformly High Order Accurate Essentially Non-oscillatory Schemes, III", J. Comput. Phys., 71 (2): 231–303, doi:10.1016/0021-9991(87)90031-3
- Harten, Ami; Engquist, Bjorn; Osher, Stanley; Chakravarthy, Sukumar R. (1997), "Uniformly High Order Accurate Essentially Non-oscillatory Schemes, III", J. Comput. Phys., 131 (1): 3–47, doi:10.1006/jcph.1996.5632
- Thomson ISI, Harten, Amiram, ISI Highly Cited Researchers, retrieved 2009-06-20
- Harten, Ami (1991), "Recent developments in shock-capturing schemes", Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians, (Kyoto, 1990), II: 1549–1559