Allen Aaron Cook
Allen Aaron Cook (April 20, 1832 – February 12, 1899), usually known as A. A. Cook, was an American architect who came to Sacramento, California in 1870. He designed numerous buildings around the state, including a number which are listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places for their architecture.
Cook was born on April 20, 1832 in Chenango County, New York. His parents moved to Albany, New York in that year, which is where Cook grew up and attended school. He married Maria Midler of Pennsylvania on January 12, 1870 in Douglas, NE; they had six children, four of whom survived to adulthood. Two other children died of measles on 21 March 21, 1882 and are buried in the Old Sacramento City Cemetery. He died in Shingle Springs, El Dorado County, California, on February 12, 1899. He is buried in the Old Sacramento City Cemetery.
- the Wheatland Masonic Temple, in Wheatland, California, NRHP-listed
- the Odd Fellows Building (1882–83) in Red Bluff, California, NRHP-listed
- Cone and Kimball Building at 747 Main St. in Red Bluff, NRHP-listed
- Pleasants Ranch at 8212 Pleasants Valley Rd. in Vacaville, California, NRHP-listed
- courthouse at Redding
- Stansbury Home (1883), Chico, California, NRHP-listed
- Hotel DeVilbiss (1899-90), 2-10 Main Street, Winters, California, a contributing building in the NRHP-listed Downtown Winters Historic District
- state prison at Folsom, California
- Western Hotel, Sacramento, a listed California Historical Landmark
- Hale's Block, Sacramento
- county hospitals in Colusa, Mendocino and Tehama
- churches at Redding, Sacramento, Stockton, and Wheatland
- Nevada State Asylum
- Winfield J. Davis (1890). An Illustrated History of Sacramento County, California. Lewis Publishing Company. pp. 789–790.
- Find A Grave Memorial Numbers 132105424 and 188323156
- newspapers.com, The Record Union, Sacramento, CA 16 Feb 1899, Page 3
- Find A Grave Memorial Number 139716026
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- Winchell T. Hayward (March 18, 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Inventory/Nomination: Odd Fellows Building / Odd Fellows Hall". National Park Service. Retrieved October 16, 2016. with four photos from 1976
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-11-05. Retrieved 2016-10-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Main Street Walking Tour". Archived from the original on 2016-12-28. Retrieved 2016-10-17.
- NRHP document
|This article about a United States architect or architectural firm is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|