Alfred Young Nutt
Alfred Young Nutt was born in 1847 in the small Leicestershire village of Burrough on the Hill, south-east of Melton Mowbray. He was the youngest of fifteen children to Reverend William Young Nutt, who was for thirty-five years curate of Burrough, and Rector of Cold Overton 1852 – 74.
Following an education at Oakham, Nutt took up an apprenticeship at an architectural practice in Leicester in 1861 where he remained for six years, during which time he was befriended by an artist called Harry Ward who later became a resident of Windsor. This connection led to Alfred taking up a position at the Office of Works of Windsor Castle in 1867 as a draughtsman.
Work in WindsorEdit
Given his junior status in the Office, much of Nutt's early work is not clearly attributable to him, but one early identifiable work was a detailed scaled drawing of the Royal Vault in St George's Chapel in preparation for major refurbishment work to be carried out by Sir George Gilbert Scott carried out between 1870 and 1871.
It was this work which secured Nutt appointment as Surveyor to the Dean and Canons of St George's in 1873, having been rejected for the vacant post of Clerk of Works of Windsor Castle. In May 1898 the London Gazette announced his conformation in the post of Clerk of Works of Windsor Castle and he held the post concurrently with that of Chapel Surveyor, through annual reappointment, until his retirement in 1912.
Nutt was commissioned to design and construct temporary annexes for Westminster Abbey for the coronations of both King Edward VII and King George V. For his service to the Coronation of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra, he was invested as a Member (fifth class) of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO) two days after the ceremony, on 11 August 1902.
Nutt was a keen churchman and undertook several commissions for architectural work in the Church of England, many through contacts he had made during his time at Windsor. These varied from St John the Evangelist, Little Leighs, where Nutt undertook general restoration work (in particular, to the porch, chancel screen and pulpit) to the construction of England's first concrete church in Goldthorpe, South Yorkshire on the commission of Lord Halifax.
Community work and recognitionEdit
- Cracknell, E., A.Y. Nutt, Chapter Surveyor
- Oxley, N, In Service to Three Monarchs, pub. Windsor, NEO 1996, ISBN 0-9528209-0-0 
- National Archive Record Details of Drawings for Coronation of George V
- "Court Circular". The Times (36844). London. 12 August 1902. p. 8.
- "No. 27467". The London Gazette. 22 August 1902. pp. 5461–5462.
- Details of St John's Church, Little Leighs, nr. Chelmsford from the Friends of Essex Churches Trust website
- The Buildings of England, Yorkshire:The West Riding, Pevsner, N., Harmondsworth, 1959, 2nd edn. 1967.
- "Details from the Friends of the Windsor & Royal Borough Museum". Archived from the original on 2009-06-05. Retrieved 23 February 2010.
- "Article from Windsor Observer". Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 9 February 2010.
- Photograph of Alfred Young Nutt by Sir (John) Benjamin Stone © National Portrait Gallery, London.
- Article from the archives of The College of St George, Windsor Castle.
- General (official) history St George's, Windsor.
- Sketch by Nutt of the vault in St George's Chapel where Henry VIII lies buried with Jane Seymour, The Royal Collection