Agatsuma District, Gunma
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Agatsuma District (吾妻郡 Agatsuma-gun) is a rural district located in Gunma Prefecture, Japan. As of January 2015, the district had an estimated population of 56,994 and an area of 1,278.55 km², with a population density of 44.6 people per square kilometer.
Towns and villagesEdit
The area of Agatsuma District was formerly part of Kōzuke Province, and per a census conducted at the start of the Meiji period, consisted of 42 villages administered as tenryō directly by the Tokugawa shogunate and four towns and 44 villages administered as hatamoto-territory, primarily by the Oguri-clan.
With the establishment of the municipality system on April 1, 1889, the area was organized into three towns (Nakanojō, Hara and Naganohara) and ten villages
- 1896, April 1 – Takayama village was transferred from Nishigunma District to Agatsuma District; Kuga Village was transferred to Tone District
- 1900, July 1 – Kusatsu Village was reorganized into Kusatsu Town and Kuni Village
- 1955, March 1 – Ōta, Iwajima and Sakanoue villages were merged into Hara Town
- 1955, April 15 – Sawada, Isama and Nakuta villages were merged into Nakanojō Town
- 1956, February 1 – Hara Town was merged into Agatsuma Town
- 2006, March 27 – the town of Agatsuma, and the village of Azuma were merged to form the new town of Higashiagatsuma.
- 2010, March 28 – the village of Kuni merged into the town of Nakanojō.