Affonso Gonçalves (born 8 June 1967) is a Brazilian-American film editor. He has edited many critically acclaimed films such as Winter's Bone (2010), Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012), Only Lovers Left Alive (2013), Carol (2015), Paterson (2016), and Wonderstruck (2017).
|Education||London Film School |
American Film Institute
Gonçalves first served as the assistant editor for Todd Solondz's Welcome to the Dollhouse (1995). Gonçalves is a frequent collaborator of Todd Haynes's first beginning with Mildred Pierce. Gonçalves was nominated for an American Cinema Editors award for Best Edited Miniseries or Motion Picture for Television. He went onto edit Carol (2015), where he received a nomination for a Satellite Awards for Best Film Editing.
Gonçalves is also frequent collaborator of Jim Jarmusch, first beginning on Only Lovers Left Alive (2013). He served as the films editor and music editor. and went onto edit Paterson (2016), and Gimme Danger (2016).
Gonçalves received his first Primetime Emmy Nomination for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series for his work on True Detective (2014). He won an American Cinema Editors award for Best Edited One-Hour Series for Non-Commercial Television.
|1996||The Delta||Ira Sachs|
|1998||The Adventures of Sebastian Cole||Tod Williams|
|2004||The Door in the Floor||Tod Williams|
|2005||Forty Shades of Blue||Ira Sachs|
|2006||The Hawk Is Dying||Julian Goldberger|
|2007||Married Life||Ira Sachs|
|2010||Night Catches Us||Tanya Hamilton|
|2010||Winter's Bone||Debra Granik|
|2011||Mildred Pierce||Todd Haynes|
|2012||Beasts of the Southern Wild||Benh Zeitlin|
|2012||Keep the Lights On||Ira Sachs|
|2012||Marfa Girl||Larry Clark|
|2013||Only Lovers Left Alive||Jim Jarmusch|
|2014||Love Is Strange||Ira Sachs|
|2014||True Detective||Cary Joji Fukunaga|
|2016||Gimme Danger||Jim Jarmusch|
|2016||Little Men||Ira Sachs|
|2017||A Ciambra||Jonas Carpignano|
|2018||Marfa Girl 2||Larry Clark|
|2019||The Dead Don't Die||Jim Jarmusch|
|2019||Dark Waters||Todd Haynes|
|TBA||Untitled Velvet Underground Documentary||Todd Haynes|
- Feld, Rob (April 21, 2014). "A VAMPIRE FILM WITH A MUSICAL FLOW". Editors Guild. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- "Interview:Affonso Goncalves and the Art of Editing Great Actresses". Film Experience. January 7, 2016. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Goldstein, Mollie (December 29, 2014). "AFFONSO GONÇALVES". The Edit Center. Archived from the original on August 10, 2016. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Ann Skewers, Mary (January 6, 2016). "Contender – Editor Affonso Gonçalves, Carol". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- "Satellite Awards (2015)". International Press Academy. IPA. December 2, 2015. pressacademy.com. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Cutting Room, The. "Affonso Gonçalves: Editing Carol". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Kreindler, Sarv (March 17, 2014). "Spotlight: Affonso Gonçalves, Editor, 'Only Lovers Left Alive'". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Gleiberman, Owen (May 15, 2016). "Cannes Film Review: 'Paterson". Variety. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Gleiberman, Owen (May 19, 2016). "Cannes Film Review: 'Gimme Danger'". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Laws, Zach (November 29, 2015). "'Carol' editor Affonso Goncalves on 'showing the love at its peak' (Audio Podcast)". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Messer, Lesley; Rothman, Michael (July 10, 2014). "Emmy Nominations 2014: The Complete List". Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- Caranicas, Peter (January 30, 2015). "'Boyhood,' 'The Grand Budapest Hotel' and 'The Lego Movie' Win Big at ACE Eddie Awards". Variety. Retrieved May 30, 2016.
- "Magnolia Pictures Acquires TEC Film Little Men". The Edit Center. February 11, 2016. Retrieved May 30, 2016.