Abraham Klein (physicist)
Abraham Klein (January 10, 1927 – June 20, 2003) was an American theoretical physicist. Klein studied at Brooklyn College (bachelor's degree in 1947) and at Harvard University, where he earned his master's degree in 1948 and doctorate in 1950 under Julian Schwinger. In 1955 he became associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he received a full professorship in 1958 and retired in 1994.
|Died||January 20, 2003(aged 76)|
|Alma mater||Brooklyn College|
Quantum field theory
University of Pennsylvania
|Doctoral advisor||Julian Schwinger|
|Notable students||Benjamin W. Lee|
Klein studied models of collective behavior in finite many-body systems, especially in nuclear physics, for example in Boson model and in an extension of the Hartree–Fock method with Robert Kerman (Kerman–Klein method). In the 1980s he occupied himself with, among other things, the interacting boson model, and in the 1970s with quantum field theory in strong fields (with Johann Rafelski).
He was married and had two daughters.
- Arthur K. Kerman; Abraham Klein (1963). "Generalized Hartree-Fock Approximation for the Calculation of Collective States of a Finite Many-Particle System". Physical Review. 132 (3): 1326–1342. Bibcode:1963PhRv..132.1326K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.132.1326.
- Abraham Klein; Arthur K. Kerman (1965). "Collective motion in finite many particle states II". Physical Review. 138 (5B): B1323–B1332. Bibcode:1965PhRv..138.1323K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.138.B1323.
- Abraham Klein; Louis Celenza; Arthur K. Kerman (1965). "Collective Motion in Finite Many-Particle Systems. III. Foundations of a Theory of Rotational Spectra of Deformed Nuclei". Physical Review. 140 (2B): B245–B263. Bibcode:1965PhRv..140..245K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.140.B245.
- Abraham Klein; Ching-Teh Li; Michel Vallieres (1982). "Relationship between the Bohr-Mottelson model and the interacting boson model". Physical Review C. 25 (5): 2733–2742. Bibcode:1982PhRvC..25.2733K. doi:10.1103/PhysRevC.25.2733.
- Abraham Klein; Michel Vallieres (1981). "Relationship between the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian and the Interacting-Boson Model". Physical Review Letters. 46 (9): 586–590. Bibcode:1981PhRvL..46..586K. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.46.586.
- Abraham Klein; Ching-Teh Li; Michel Vallieres (1982). "Relationship Between the Interacting Boson Model and the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian". Physica Scripta. 25 (3): 452–458. Bibcode:1982PhyS...25..452K. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/25/3/003.
- Abraham Klein; Ching-Teh Li; Thomas D. Cohen; Michel Vallieres (1983). "Relationship Between the Interacting Boson Model and the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian". Progress in Particle and Nuclear Physics. 9: 183–231. Bibcode:1983PrPNP...9..183K. doi:10.1016/0146-6410(83)90018-2.