Raymond Abracosa, better known as Abra, is a Filipino hip hop artist and occasional actor. He gained mainstream popularity with his song "Gayuma". When the video reached more than 26 million views on YouTube, it was hailed as the highest number generated by any local artist. Before that, he is a well-known battle emcee in the FlipTop Battle League.
|Birth name||Raymond Abracosa|
|Born||December 2, 1990|
|Genres||Hip hop, alternative hip hop|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, musician, actor|
|Years active||2012–present (as a solo artist)|
|Labels||Artifice Records |
Ivory Music & Video
|Associated acts||Lyrically Deranged Poets|
|Website||Abra on Facebook|
His career started as a member of Pinoy hip hop group Lyrically Deranged Poets (LDP) in 2010. He joined the Fliptop Battle League as Abra. They released their independent debut album The Project in 2009 and had their first major concert at the legendary Music Museum in 2010. LDP was awarded Best Urban Group at both the 2010 and 2011 Urban Music Awards, among other nominations. In 2011, LDP was granted TV air time on myx for the music video of their song "Here to Own It", which was able to enter the charts. He is also a major icon in the Fliptop battle league as well as a co-host on PTV 4's show iConnect.
When the FlipTop Battle League and Sunugan rap battle leagues started out in 2010, Abra was one of the first battle emcees to compete and gradually make a name for himself. After a couple of intense rap battles, Abra has been considered as one of the heavyweights in Filipino rap battling. Using his compelling lyrical style coupled with witty antics, he is able to impress viewers and artists alike; and has YouTube videos that have amassed millions of views. It did not take long until Abra was able to perform on live television, radio shows and various events across the country.
In 2013, Abra and his label Artifice Records signed a major distribution deal with Ivory Music & Video. He released his self-titled debut album nationwide on February 21, 2014. He took home the 'Best Music on YouTube Award' for his YouTube Channel called 'Abra TV' at the 2013 Globe Tatt Awards. On March 29, he collaborated with Maja Salvador for the song "Halika Na" on her debut album Believe.
- Abra – self-titled album (released nationwide February 21, 2014)
- The Project (with Lyrically Deranged Poets) (2009)
- Hendrix EP (2018)
- Various Artists: Homegrown Hiphop (Universal Music Group, 2013)
- Various Artists: Juan dela Cruz: The Official Soundtrack (Star Records, 2013)
- "Gayuma" (featuring Thyro Alfaro and Jeriko Aguilar) (2012)
- "Alab ng Puso" (theme of Juan dela Cruz)
- "Ilusyon" (featuring Arci Muñoz) (2013)
- "Midas" (featuring Jaq Dionisio) (2013)
- "Bolang Kristal" (featuring KZ Tandingan)
- "Cerberus" (featuring Loonie and Ron Henley) (2014)
- "Diwata" (featuring Chito Miranda) (2014)
- "Sanib Pwersa" (featuring Raimund Marasigan) (2014)
- "Dedma" (featuring Julie Anne San Jose) (2014)
- "'King Inang Bayan" (featuring Reese Lansangan) (2016)
- "'Apoy" (featuring Shanti Dope) (2018)
As featured artistEdit
Television and media appearancesEdit
- The Voice of the Philippines (season 2) (ABS-CBN, guest performer)
- ASAP (ABS-CBN, guest)
- It's Showtime (ABS-CBN, guest judge/performer)
- Kris TV (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Gandang Gabi, Vice! (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Sarah G. Live (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Rated K (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Showbiz Inside Report (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Kapamilya, Deal or No Deal (ABS-CBN, guest player)
- Minute to Win It (ABS-CBN, guest player)
- Pilipinas Got Talent (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Banana Split: Ihaw Na! (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Bandila: Ikaw Na! (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Wowowillie (TV5, 2013)
- iConnect (PTV 4, 2012–present)
- Sharon: Kasama Mo, Kapatid (TV5, guest)
- Party Pilipinas (GMA, guest)
- H.O.T. TV: Hindi Ordinaryong Tsismis (GMA, guest)
- Celebrity Bluff (GMA, guest player)
- Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho (GMA, guest)
- The Ryzza Mae Show (GMA, guest)
- Flashbook (GMA News TV, guest)
- Front Row (GMA, guest)
- Aquino & Abunda Tonight (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Buzz ng Bayan (ABS-CBN, guest)
- Tunay Na Buhay (GMA, guest)
- Boy Pick-Up: The Movie, as fictional version of himself (cameo)
- Kubot: The Aswang Chronicles, as Benjie
- Respeto, as Hendrix
- "Gayuma" (feat. Thyro Alfaro & Jeriko Aguilar; September 2012)
- "Ilusyon" (feat. Arci Muñoz; July 2013)
- "Alab ng Puso" (Juan dela Cruz OST)
- "Rejoice Haba ng Hair" (for Rejoice commercial)
- "Rejoice Ikaw na ang Malupit" (for Rejoice commercial)
- "Midas" (feat. Jaq Dionisio – Boy Golden OST)
- "Sanib Puwersa" (feat. Raimund Marasigan, for Colt 45 commercial)
- "Dedma" (feat. Julie Anne San Jose; October 2014)
- "Diwata" (feat. Chito Miranda; December 2014)
- "Cerberus" (feat. Ron Henley & Loonie; September 2015)
- "Bolang Kristal" (feat. KZ Tandingan; March 2016)
- "Peque" (by Apekz, with Mikerapphone; Jan 13, 2018)
|2016||Myx Music Awards 2016||Best Music Video – "Cerberus" feat. Loonie and Ron Henley, directed by Wilan Rivera||Won|
|2019||4th Wish 107.5 FM Music Awards||Wishclusive Hip-hop Performance of the Year – "Taya"||Nominated|
- "Six things you didn't know about rapper Abra". GMA News Online. April 10, 2014. Retrieved January 15, 2018.
- "Fliptop rapper taps Vice Ganda for new single". ABS-CBN News. March 12, 2012.
- "20M Hits on YOUTUBE: ABRA sets a high bar". PhilippineShowbizNews.com. March 26, 2013.
- "Abra, Artifice Records sign up with Ivory Music & Video". The Philippine Star. June 10, 2013. Retrieved March 30, 2016.
- "Abra releases debut album". 16 March 2014. The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "Abra TV". Archived from the original on April 13, 2015. Retrieved September 21, 2015.
- Globe Tatt Awards 2013 Winners List Revealed. Philnews.ph (2013-07-06). Retrieved on 2015-09-01.
- "Maja Salvador: 'Believe and it will happen'". 29 March 2014. Manila Times. Retrieved April 10, 2014.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Myx Music Awards 2016". Rappler. Retrieved March 4, 2019.
- "The 4th Wish 107.5 Music Awards: Nominees, New Categories, and More". Wish 107.5. December 12, 2018. Retrieved December 30, 2018.