Abolition of Prussia
Prussia was a region connecting the rest of Germany by land to Russia. Prussia was once the leading state of the German Empire. After World War I resulted in the allies giving the Danzig Corridor in East Prussia to Poland, this made trade between the two nations more difficult. After World War II, Prussia's land was divided amongst Poland and Russia who annexed the territories.
In 1972 the Prussian Academy of Sciences was renamed. It was abolished and replaced by the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities in 1992 as part of German Reunification.
Control Council Law No. 46:
Guided by the interests of preservation of peace and security of peoples and with the desire to assure further reconstruction of the political life of Germany on a democratic basis, the Control Council enacts as follows:
The provisions of this Article are subject to such revision and other provisions as may be agreed upon by the Control Council, or as may be laid down in the future Constitution of Germany.
The State and administrative functions as well as the assets and liabilities of the former Prussian State will be transferred to appropriate Länder, subject to such agreements as may be necessary and made by the Allied Control Council.
This law becomes effective on the day of its signature.
Signed in Berlin on February 25, 1947.
- Marie-Pierre Kœnig, Général d'Armée
- V. Sokolovsky, Marshal of the Soviet Union
- Lucius D. Clay for Joseph T. McNarney, General
- B. H. Robertson for Sholto Douglas, Marshal of the Royal Air Force
Control Council Law No. 46, signed on 25 February, liquidates the State of Prussia, its central government, and all its agencies. This law is in the nature of a confirming action; the eleven provinces and administrative districts of prewar Prussia have since the beginning of the occupation been split up among the Soviet, British, and American Zones and Poland.
- Danzig Corridor
- Danzig crisis
- Free City of Danzig (following Free City of Danzig (Napoleonic))
- Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia
- "Sinn und Form": The Anatomy of a Literary Journal. p. 377.
Künste Berlin contains the archives that have been accumulated since 1696 in the various incarnations of the present Berlin Academy of Arts: from the Prussian Academy of Arts, which ceased to exist with the abolition of Prussia after 1945
- Excerpt from Legal and Judicial Affairs (Bimonthly Review), OMGUS Report No. 20, 1 Jan–28 Feb 1947.
- Ernst Rudolf Huber (1951), Sources of Constitutional Law of the modern era, Volume 2, Matthiesen & Co, p. 648