2011 Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Tournament
The 2011 Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Tournament was played initially at campus sites for the opening round on March 8, 2011 and subsequently at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey from March 11 through March 13, 2011. It was the fifth consecutive year that the tournament is hosted in Boardwalk Hall. The Richmond Spiders won the tournament and thereby received an automatic bid to the 2011 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament.
|2011 Atlantic 10 Men's Basketball Tournament|
2011 Atlantic 10 Tournament logo
Atlantic City, New Jersey
|Champions||Richmond Spiders (1st title)|
|Winning coach||Chris Mooney (1st title)|
|MVP||Kevin Anderson, (Richmond)|
|Top scorer||Kevin Anderson, (Richmond)|
|2010–11 Atlantic 10 men's basketball standings|
|No. 20 Xavier||15||–||1||.938||24||–||8||.750|
|† 2011 Atlantic 10 Tournament winner |
As of March 25, 2011; Rankings from AP Poll
Seeding for the tournament was determined by the conference standings at the end of the regular season, with the last two teams in the standings not qualifying for the tournament. First round games were held at the home of the higher (lower number) seed.
Richmond's victory was the first for the Spiders in ten years as members of the Atlantic 10 Conference, breaking Temple University's string of three consecutive conference tournament championships by defeating the Owls in the semifinals.
Richmond senior point guard Kevin Anderson was named Most Outstanding Player for the tournament, leading all scorers with 66 points over three games, including a game-high 23 points in the championship game. Joining Anderson on the All-Championship Team were teammate Justin Harper, Dayton's Chris Wright and Chris Johnson, and Temple's Lavoy Allen.
The championship game was nationally televised on CBS. Three first round games and both semifinal games were televised nationally by CBS College Sports, while all four quarterfinal games were offered by the network via syndication.
- Duquesne earned the 4th seed over George Washington with a 1–0 record in head-to-head games.
- Massachusetts earned the 8th seed over Dayton with a 1–0 record in head-to-head games.
- La Salle earned the 10th seed over St. Louis with a 1–0 record in head-to-head games.
Asterisk denotes game ended in overtime.
- "A-10 To Hold 2010, 2011, 2012 Men's Basketball Championships At Boardwalk Hall In Atlantic City". Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- 2011 Atlantic 10 All-Championship Team
- "A-10 Men's Basketball Championship To Be Aired On CBS Sports Beginning In 2010; New Championship Format Unveiled". Archived from the original on 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Atlantic 10 Announces Seeds For 2011 A-10 Men's Basketball Championship". Archived from the original on 2011-03-09. Retrieved 2011-03-08.