1982 European Cup Final

The 1982 European Cup Final was played on 26 May 1982. English champions Aston Villa defeated West German league winners Bayern Munich 1–0 at De Kuip in Rotterdam, Netherlands to win the European Cup for the first, and so far, only time, and continue the streak of English teams winning the competition, being the sixth consecutive victory by an English side.

1982 European Cup Final
1982 European Cup Final programme.jpg
Match programme cover
Event1981–82 European Cup
Date26 May 1982
VenueFeijenoord Stadion, Rotterdam
Man of the MatchPeter Withe (Aston Villa)
RefereeGeorges Konrath (France)

Route to the finalEdit

  Aston Villa Round   Bayern Munich
Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg Opponent Agg. 1st leg 2nd leg
  Valur 7–0 5–0 (H) 2–0 (A) First round   Östers IF 6–0 1–0 (A) 5–0 (H)
  Dynamo Berlin 2–2 (a) 2–1 (A) 0–1 (H) Second round   Benfica 4–1 0–0 (A) 4–1 (H)
  Dynamo Kyiv 2–0 0–0 (A) 2–0 (H) Quarter-finals   Universitatea Craiova 3–1 2–0 (A) 1–1 (H)
  Anderlecht 1–0 1–0 (H) 0–0 (A) Semi-finals   CSKA Sofia 7–4 3–4 (A) 4–0 (H)



It represented a huge success in his first season as manager for Tony Barton. He had only taken over as Villa boss before the quarter-finals after the shock resignation of Villa boss Ron Saunders.

One of the most memorable incidents of the final occurred after 10 minutes when veteran goalkeeper Jimmy Rimmer suffered a repeat of a recurring shoulder injury. His replacement, Nigel Spink, subsequently made only his second first team appearance for the club. His performance in helping prevent Bayern from scoring throughout the match was subsequently highly praised, and is seen by many as the making of a player who would be Villa's first choice goalkeeper for the following 10 seasons.[1]

Also memorably Bayern Munich did find the net with three minutes of play remaining, although the goal was ruled offside. Villa also got the ball in the net for a second time a few seconds before the end of the match but this goal was also disallowed.

Brian Moore's commentary of the winning goal is displayed on a giant banner across the North Stand of Villa Park:

Shaw, Williams, prepared to venture down the left. There's a good ball in for Tony Morley. Oh, it must be and it is! It's Peter Withe.

As defending European champions Villa were invited into the European Cup, European Super Cup and the Intercontinental Cup for the following season. Their defence of the European Cup ended in a quarter-final defeat to a Michel Platini-inspired Juventus. They beat Barcelona 3–1 on aggregate to win the Super Cup, but lost 2–0 to Uruguayan club Peñarol for the Intercontinental Cup in Tokyo, Japan.


  Aston Villa1–0  Bayern Munich
Withe   67' Report
Attendance: 46,000
Aston Villa
Bayern Munich
GK 1   Jimmy Rimmer   9'
RB 2   Kenny Swain
CB 5   Ken McNaught
CB 4   Allan Evans
LB 3   Gary Williams   38'
CM 6   Dennis Mortimer (c)
CM 10   Gordon Cowans
CM 7   Des Bremner
RW 9   Peter Withe
CF 8   Gary Shaw
LW 11   Tony Morley
GK 16   Nigel Spink   9'
DF   Colin Gibson
MF   Andy Blair
MF   Pat Heard
FW   David Geddis
  Tony Barton
GK 1   Manfred Müller
RB 2   Wolfgang Dremmler
CB 4   Hans Weiner
CB 5   Klaus Augenthaler
LB 3   Udo Horsmann
RM 10   Reinhold Mathy   51'
CM 6   Wolfgang Kraus   78'
CM 8   Paul Breitner (c)
LM 7   Bernd Dürnberger
CF 9   Dieter Hoeneß
CF 11   Karl-Heinz Rummenigge
MF 16   Günter Güttler   51'
MF 13   Kurt Niedermayer   78'
GK   Walter Junghans
  Pál Csernai

See alsoEdit


  1. ^ "How Aston Villa won the European Cup (and were then relegated five years later)". Guardian. 26 May 2016. Retrieved 27 May 2016.

External linksEdit