1972 Wimbledon Championships
The 1972 Wimbledon Championships was a tennis tournament that took place on the outdoor grass courts at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in Wimbledon, London, United Kingdom. The tournament was scheduled to be held from Monday 26 June until Saturday 8 July 1972 but rain on the final Saturday meant that the men's singles, women's doubles and mixed doubles finals were played on Sunday 9 July. It was the first time in the tournament's history that finals were played on a Sunday. It was the 86th staging of the Wimbledon Championships, and the third Grand Slam tennis event of 1972.
|1972 Wimbledon Championships|
|Date||26 June – 9 July|
London, United Kingdom
|Venue||All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club|
|Billie Jean King|
|Bob Hewitt / Frew McMillan|
|Billie Jean King / Betty Stöve|
|Ilie Năstase / Rosie Casals|
Due to the International Lawn Tennis Federation (ILTF) ban on World Championship Tennis (WCT) contract players competing in their tournaments, the reigning men's singles champion John Newcombe was prevented from defending his title. Other players banned from competing included Rod Laver, Ken Rosewall and Arthur Ashe among others. Stan Smith and Billie Jean King won the singles titles.
|Event||W||F||SF||QF||Round of 16||Round of 32||Round of 64||Round of 128|
|Men's Doubles *||£1,000||£600||£400||£200||£0||£0||£0||N/A|
|Women's Doubles *||£600||£400||£200||£100||£0||£0||£0||N/A|
|Mixed Doubles *||£500||£350||£175||£100||£0||£0||£0||£0|
* per team
- It was Smith's 2nd (and last) career Grand Slam title, and his only Wimbledon title.
- It was King's 8th career Grand Slam title (her 4th in the Open Era), and her 4th Wimbledon title.
- Collins, Bud (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. pp. 421, 432. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- Barrett, John (2001). Wimbledon : The Official History of the Championships. London: CollinsWillow. pp. 374, 375. ISBN 0007117078.
- Little, Alan (2013). Wimbledon Compendium 2013 (23 ed.). London: All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club. pp. 74, 129, 327–334. ISBN 978-1899039401.
- Bud Collins (2010). The Bud Collins History of Tennis (2nd ed.). [New York]: New Chapter Press. p. 160. ISBN 978-0942257700.
- "About Wimbledon – Prize Money and Finance". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Gentlemen's Singles Finals 1877-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Ladies' Singles Finals 1884-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Gentlemen's Doubles Finals 1884-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Ladies' Doubles Finals 1913-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Mixed Doubles Finals 1913-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 22 July 2017.
- "Boys' Singles Finals 1947-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
- "Girls' Singles Finals 1947-2017". wimbledon.com. Wimbledon Championships. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
1972 French Open
|Grand Slams||Succeeded by|
1972 US Open