1950 U.S. Women's Open Golf Championship
|Dates||September 28 –|
October 1, 1950
|Course(s)||Rolling Hills Country Club|
|Organized by||LPGA Tour|
|Format||Stroke play – 72 holes|
|Length||6,203 yards (5,672 m)|
Babe Zaharias won the second of her three U.S. Women's Open titles, nine strokes ahead of runner-up Betsy Rawls, an amateur. Defending champion Louise Suggs finished in solo third. Zaharias entered the final round with a four stroke lead over Rawls. It was the seventh of ten major championships for Zaharias, and Rawls won the title the following year.
The formation of the LPGA was announced during this championship, which was not run by the United States Golf Association (USGA) until 1953. The U.S. Women's Open returned to Wichita five years later in 1955 at Wichita Country Club.
Past champions in the fieldEdit
|Player||Country||Year won||R1||R2||R3||R4||Total||To par||Finish|
|Babe Zaharias||United States||1948||75||76||70||70||291||−9||1|
|Louise Suggs||United States||1949||74||76||78||74||302||+2||3|
|Patty Berg||United States||1946||77||77||81||72||307||+7||5|
|Betty Jameson||United States||1947||77||86||75||77||315||+15||10|
Sunday, October 1, 1950
|Place||Player||Country||Score||To par||Money ($)|
|1||Babe Zaharias||United States||75-76-70-70=291||−9||1,250|
|2||Betsy Rawls (a)||United States||76-74-75-75=300||E||0|
|3||Louise Suggs||United States||74-76-78-74=302||+2||1,000|
|4||Helen Dettweiler||United States||79-76-73-76=304||+4||700|
|5||Patty Berg||United States||77-77-81-72=307||+7||500|
|T6||Marlene Bauer||United States||79-76-76-77=308||+8||400|
|Fay Crocker (a)||Uruguay||80-79-73-76=308||0|
|Beverly Hanson (a)||United States||76-79-73-80=308|
|9||Betty Bush (a)||United States||76-73-78-87=314||+14||0|
|10||Betty Jameson||United States||77-86-75-77=315||+15||300|
- "Zaharias wins National Open". Spokane Daily Chronicle. Associated Press. October 2, 1950. p. 15.
- "Women golfers ask blessing of USGA". Palm Beach Post. Associated Press. September 7, 1951. p. 11.
- "'Babe' takes Open prize". Milwaukee Sentinel. Associated Press. October 2, 1950. p. 4, section 2.
- "Babe shoots 70 to pace women". Reading Eagle. Associated Press. October 1, 1950. p. 36.
- Voepel, Mechelle (July 7, 2002). "Founders marvel at tour's success". Toledo Blade. p. 5, section JF.
- "'Babe' takes golf crown". Youngstown Vindicator. Associated Press. October 2, 1950. p. 11.